457 Visa Costs

Greg

Question

Hi 

I have been offered a job by a previous employer who has almost 4 years ago left for Oz. 

What he has said is that there is a job here for you,  you need to get here,  so I need to find out if it is even financially viable for me to start the process,  so I guess what my question is,  is this what would the whole process of getting the visa,  the clearances and flights and furniture basically cost, we are a family of 3 being wife,  son (3months) and myself we would be going to Brisbane near the Sunshine Coast. 

I know it is a very general question,  but I don't know if I even have enough money to complete the "get here" option of the offer. 

6 answers to this question

Hi @Greg

I am a bit unsure about the 457 process but as far as I understood it, the employer pays the visa fees? It sounds like your previous employer is not intent on sponsoring you but is willing to offer work if you arrive in Australia on your own from his wording.

You can check what Visa fees cost here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees Sure other members of the forum will tell you what you need to pay and what not but here is a quick breakdown of costs of stuff you might need. Bear in mind, we are going over on a 189 visa so you should definitely check with other forum members who are making use of the 457 option also.

Skills assessment: Completely depends on your occupation but so far I have not seen anything less than R3000

English test: R3200 per person (IELTS) http://www.britishcouncil.org.za/exam/ielts/test-dates-fees-location

Police clearance: R95 per person (As far as I know, kids also need this)

Medical: R700 per person (Estimated, I cannot find my invoice right now)

Flights: R9 000 per person (serious approximation since this fluctuates a lot)

Furniture: R30 000 - R80 000 (Large 7 Seas Movecube or own container)

Sure the other members will correct and amend the numbers as required, this is just to give you a quick idea of what to expect.

Good luck with the application process!

Hi,

I am going through the process at the moment and this is what I can tell you and also in reply to @CyberJoe:

Skills Assessment is not required if you earn over $96000 per annum or you can prove English language taught at secondary or tertiary education as primary language.

Police clearance not required for 457 visa application, although if the immigration are not satisfied with your character requirement, they can ask for the PCC.

Medical is R700-R1500 pp and R1000 per child.

Flights will definitely vary in price depending on if you fly direct with quantas/SAA or stopover with emirates/etihad

We are using 2 large movecubes and its working out to about R65k for both (12 cubic metres)

Visa costs are on the link that @CyberJoe posted above.

You will need to purchase private medical aid in Australia before you apply for your visa as this is a requirement foe the 457 visa. Mine cost me R2.5k for my family of 4 for the first month.

Cheers

@Cuandv thanks for the info. What medical aid did you end up going for, and what cover? As I understand it, you need to prove cover but not necessarily by an Australian medical aid. Your South African medical aid could cover you for 3 months afterwhich you need to get a 457 approved Australian medical aid. We just needed to provide travel cover from Discovery for our 457 visa application.

@WayneACT, we went with hif medical fund. Took out intermediate cover for my family of 4, worked out to about R2400.

The way it is with medical is thatit has to be an Australian medical aid that is compliant with the 457 visa.mthers are only about 5 of them depending on cover. Your South African medical aid is not compliant with the 457 visa and thus may cause you visa to be denied.

this I have read in multiple places.

First of all, on a 457, the prospective employer first has to apply to the Australian Government to be a sponsor. If the motivation is not good enough, they will not get it. once they have got the eligibility to sponsor, only then can they apply for a 457 visa for you... and yes the sponsoring company usually pays the costs. the problem is, although this visa may be a 4 year visa... it does not come with a guarantee of any kind. If your employer faces a downturn, he can retrench you and then, if you wish to stay in Australia, you only have 90 days in which to find another sponsor, or you have to return to RSA.

19 hours ago, Cuandv said:

@WayneACT, we went with hif medical fund. Took out intermediate cover for my family of 4, worked out to about R2400.

The way it is with medical is thatit has to be an Australian medical aid that is compliant with the 457 visa.mthers are only about 5 of them depending on cover. Your South African medical aid is not compliant with the 457 visa and thus may cause you visa to be denied.

this I have read in multiple places.

When you travel your South African medical aid can cover you for up to 90 days. We were asked to submit proof of travel cover for our 457 visa. This was merely a letter from Discovery which is an automated online process. After 3 months you need to get a 457 compliant Australian medical aid. I will be keeping my Discovery medical aid for as long as I am on a 457 visa. An additional expense I know, but this is just a precaution. Also, should a medical condition force them to re-patriat you after 3 months, then we will still have Discovery cover in South Africa to continue treatment.

If you are on a PR visa, then this all changes.

Edited by WayneACT