Pickfords removal company

Goldenlily

Question

Hi all

I know there is already a lot of advice related to removal companies, but can anyone advise about their experience with Pickfords for the move to Aus? I have started contacting removal companies about quotes and Pickfords is the only company that actually went through the trouble to call me so far. I see lots of people recommend Bayley Worldwide and Crown Removals, but a week later and I have not even heard back from them.

Advice would be appreciated as it is so expensive and an important decision to make!

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

I found that filling in those online queries was rather unhelpful because only 2 out of 5 came back to me. So I called them and that worked out better in terms of scheduling for them to come out to my place.

I have quotes from Crown, Pickfords, Execumove and Bayleys come by this Friday. Personally I preferred for them to come out and look at my stuff because I didn't know how to do their inventory list when it came to kitchen and bedroom cupboard contents.

When are you moving Goldenlily? We're also in the process. So far only response from Magna and Biddulphs. 

We are moving beginning September of this year. When are you looking at moving Sassyninja?

I got good responses from Biddulphs, Bayleys and Crown, last year when I did the 'first round interviews'. Finally decided on Crown, because they seemed to be the most inclusive in their cost calculation. (no surprises on the other side, hopefully)

Thank you for the advice Red Panda! Did they come to your house for the inventory or did you fill out their sheet? 

Thank you for the feedback @Usha! I'll see about giving Bayleys and Excecumove a call since I still have not heard anything from them. So far Pickfords and Crown came back to me but since we live in East London it seems only Pickfords has an agent. 

The Pickfords gentleman came to our house and did the inventory, Crown removals just sent the inventory list. Quite frankly I am very tempted to just take the Pickfords quite (if it is not absolutely ridiculously expensive) since I feel, I'm going to be paying so much for the move, I really dont feel like taking 3 hours of my busy day to try and fill in the inventory with the volumes myself, which I may fill in wrong anyway.  We'll see what happens! 

any idea what a 40ft crate costs. ive had one quote of R167 000.. looking for cheaper through other options

WayneAndMel, I paid R118 000 for a 40ft with Econotrans in Dec from Cpt to Brisbane - I bargained hard! (excl insurance)

Hey WayneAndMel, not sure about the 40ft cost, we are going to use a 20ft.

Hi All,

I met with Brenda from Bayleys day before yesterday and received the quote this morning. and I'm happy to say I think we found our mover :).

I found Brenda to be more knowledgeable than the other movers we've had over. She really doesn't have to sell her experience in my words. The meeting left us feeling comfy and rest assured that we found people who can do this for us seamlessly. I am in a good space with this whole shipping thing now. Her advice extended beyond her call of duty to how to manage the kids during the move, as well as how to prioritise my shopping going forward.

Hubby and I had made up our mind after she left our home, and the plus is that her quote came in the cheapest as opposed to Crown, Pickford and Execumove.

Yup we felt the same, Bayley's was awesome. Packers were good, follow up information was good, timing was perfect, etc etc. Hope I'm not overselling here, but we had such a good experience and it was a stressful thing, so hope it goes as well for you!

I also think it depends a lot on the agent that you see for your quote, we heard such good things about Crown and honestly the lady that saw us just didn't get us or our needs. We needed half a crate (I think we used 14m3 at the end) and she kept on pushing us to take a full crate in any case and ended up quoting us for a full 20 foot and a full 40 foot. *sigh* everyone else could not promise quick delivery except Bayleys. Pickfords was very professional but was the most expensive in our case.

If they don't get back to you just call them, its unfortunately what we had to do as well, we called each one and said look we in a hurry come see us NOW and they all did. A friend of mine only emailed and had agents call her weeks after her crate was already packed - she used Stuttafords. It also depends from where to where you go and what they have in place where. My friend's quotes were totally different from mine (also half a crate), she was heading towards Airlie beach - Queensland area I think, and us to Melbourne.

Hi I wander if anyone can help us. We are moving back to Oz and will only be taking a few boxes, (Maybe 10) no furniture. Would one be able to share a container perhaps? Moving from Cape Town, time is not really of the essence as we have a place to go back to and can wait for our stuff.

Hope someone can help? Many thanks :-) 

Ive just signed with biddulphs in durban for groupage for the next 2 weeks, check with them?