Looking for a lead: IT manager

Mel-B

Hi all, my husband is still job hunting.

We have tried agents, no success. we have had the CV redone, no success. We have tried networking but our network is tiny, we have no friends or family here. Any leads will be appreciated.

My husband is also a software engineer (currently working on a project for a client in South Africa - mobile applications). He is not spesialised in anything though, which is posing a problem for agents. He has a degree in sotware engineering and is certified in ITIL.

• 1 month later...

Thanks RYLC :)

Still searching for work. This is getting worrisome. The backup plan was to UBER drive for a while... and OH WHOOPS UBER is illegal in Melbourne. GREAT.

I actually got no interviews through agents although they promised a lot.

Just a couple of suggestions based on my experience:

The job I secured was a direct application through an ad on Linkedin - so definitely make sure that his profile is fully set-up and scan Linkedin regularly. It may even be worth taking out a membership to try and increase exposure, which is what I did [PS Don't forget to cancel it when you're sorted ... else Linkedin just keeps billing you].

Perhaps attend a meeting of an affiliated body related to his occupation. An example is that I am a Business Analyst and I attended a Sydney Chapter meeting of the International Institute of Business Analysts ... and ended up getting to the third round of interviews from a contact I made at that meeting. I turned them down though when I took the job via Linkedin.

All the best to you both in your job hunt - it is a stressful time!

• Like 1

Hi @Mel-B

I am in a similar field and found seek to be a great help, but i am sure you have been trying this.

Another great source is consultancies, they are always looking for people and because they have large client bases there is generally always work.

I have have been looking in Sydney and Melbourne. I am happy to share the Melbourne contacts with you as they have been helpful.

Drop me a PM.

• Like 1

Hi

Please can i get help on this: We currently going with Migrate to  Oz and facing a dilemma with the following:

We currently applying for Visa 189 in IT systems engineering Field.

1. My husband worked as a Systems Administrator and Network Engineer ( which is exactly the same occupation for the states sponsored skills list)  from 2004 to 2010 .

The problem is that, from January 2011 to December 2015 he worked as a project manager and business analyst at the same company. This does not give us the total of 9 years minimum requirement for a state sponsored visa. 

2. He has also not been working since January 2016 until now

based on the above 2 problems, has any one of you experienced the similar issues. Please can you share your experience with us, as we have heard that the investigation officer will be checking into each one of these things including salary slips, IRP 5's, in order to confirm employment periods and income ( as per migrate2Oz)

The most recent company will not provide a single letter for the total of five years worked as an IT Systems engineering. They will separate the years for both the different roles. 

Thank You

Sharlene

• 1 month later...

Software developers shouldn't have an issue getting a job as long as you currently reside in Aus. I got one promising interview over skype that they rejected me because I was still in SA, otherwise nothing.

Got an interview the first day I was here for the next day and got an offer the day of the interview.

Also join the South Africans looking for work in melbourne and South Africans living in melbourne groups on Facebook if Melbourne is where you want to be.

Also not sure where you heard that Uber is illegal in Melbournem used on just the other day.

@dlmonnink, would you say Melbourne is the main hub for software engineers (mainly C# experience)?  I've also heard that becoming a member of the ACS helps in finding a job.

How would you rate Brisbane in terms of finding IT jobs?

Edited by ChrisH

Melbourne is the fastest growing city and according to many indexes one of the most livable/best cities in the world.

Many people are moving here in droves, especially the Chinese and Indians. I would say for Australia Melbourne and Sydney would be your best bets.

Being an ACS member might look favourable if you are applying to a huge IT/Finance firm although I cannot give confirmation on this. I did consider it but I decided not to and had no problem getting a job.

At the end of the day there is a big pool of highly capable candidates to choose from here so you need to be good at what you do. I think what gives South Africans the edge is that our English is better than other immigrants which makes general conversation and understanding better and makes us more desirable. Depending on industry, saffers are also willing to work harder or longer which can be desirable too.

• Like 2