Do you need your original Matric Certificate in Australia? Ever?

RedPanda

Hi fellow forumites,
it so happens that my matric certificate was lost in a move about 8 years ago, and I haven't been to the Department of Basic Education for a re-issue. I do however have a Bachelor's Degree, soon to be a Masters Degree.

Have any of you ever needed to provide your Matric certificate anywhere in Australia? (Job application???)

I have some certified copies of it, but that's it.

The only qualifications that companies have ever requested is relevant to the job. So for my husband his Admission Certificate. They do however sometimes ask for Academic record but this is from.the University he studied with. He studied with the University of Natal now University of KZN and they could not find his academic record so he sent the Academic Record for the Australian University he studied with online. I cannot think a Matric certificate would be needed Red.

@RedPandain my 2016 years (remember :ilikeit:) the only time I have ever been asked for it is in the first job I worked at after leaving school... five countries later, and it has never been asked of me again! How does the song go? "Let it go, let it gooooo!

• Like 1

I like the way this going...

From memory, it was pretty easy to get in RSA (actually I was in the UK, my mom helped on the RSA side).  My rule of thumb is always, get EVERYTHING for everybody while you still can, then you can choose not to use it later (but have it), than needing it and not having it.  Life sometimes have unplanned changes in stall for us around the corner.  You may choose to do a u-turn later on and change careers completely or just branch off, and need your matric cert for applying for Uni?  Just my 2c. 

• 2 weeks later...

The awesome thing about living in a corruption free society is that people still trust one another (perhaps even too much sometimes). 

Last week I've enroled for an online course with Open College. I've enroled telephonically ex-South Africa. The lady only asked me if I had a Year 12 or similar or whether I have any other qualifications. When I offered to forward her the docs, she said that there's no need.

How refreshing.

• Like 1

Aussie is far from corruption free. When you read noseweek magazine and find out what the Apartheid era politicians got up to,  well it's shocking. But few of us knew about it because the politicians  were smart about it. 

Aussie is a lot like that. There is a real sense here that voters won't tolerate corruption indefinitely and that eventually there will be a fall out. 

Just look at the construction industry.  There may soon be a royal commission to investigate them and put the corrupt actors in jail. But I would assume that's a fight over money. The coalition government is trying to weaken the labour party by putting their undisclosed  backers in jail.