189 visa: (applying with 60 points now) vs (applying with 70 points later)

Kevin

Question

I have a close relative who was planning to apply for a 189 visa with 70 points.  She recently missed getting Superior English on IELTS by the narrowest possible margin.  So she currently has 60 points towards the visa.

Her options are to

1. proceed with 60 points (perhaps lodging EOI in July),
  2. apply for an IELTS remark (hoping to gain 0.5 IELTS points in one category), to later apply with 70 points (lodging in September), or
  3. wait until next year, by which time a combination of factors would allow her to apply with 75 points.

There is always a risk in unnecessary delay, as the occupation lists or points thresholds may change.

QUESTION: Is the probability of receiving an invitation on 60 points much lower than when applying on 70 points?  I am trying to quantify the risk of not getting an invite if she applies with 60 points.

Other information:

The minimum points required for her occupation is 60.  The current data on SkillSelect shows that only about 7.5% towards the occupation ceiling has been filled.

Edited by Kevin
grammar correction

3 answers to this question

I would say do an EOI with the 60 points. She will still get invited, might just take a bit longer. Why not do an EOI now with the 60 points? The EOI can always be withdrawn.

Just double check this, but I think EOI's can be updated. Which would mean that they can apply with 60 points and if they get better IELTS marks they can update it, but it will still show the same 'early' submission date. Like I said, just confirm this with someone else as well.

Thanks, vitchie and RedPanda.  Although I am still not entirely sure whether it would be necessary for her to elevate her IELTS score, your feedback has been helpful.  In gratitude, I +1 both responses :-).

• Like 1