Skilled - Regional (Subclass 489) to 887 process

B0nB0n

Question

Hi Guys,

We have an invitation to apply for a 489 visa. We could wait until August/September and try apply for a 190 visa which would give us PR. 

Does anyone have experience in getting PR (visa 887) from the 489 visa? Is it quite a straightforward process? Will there be any challenges? Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you so much! 

6 answers to this question

Hi @B0nB0n

A family friend works at DIBC and she advised that is not a problem to obtain the 887 after the 2 years as long as 1 of you has worked for 12 consecutive months in those 2 years. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much @KarenS! Much appreciated. :)

So it doesn't matter who is working as long as one of us is? Even though I am currently the main applicant and my partner, the defacto? That is good to know. In case one of us struggles to find work. Could you clarify?

Thank you so much!

You will need to have lived for 2 years and worked for at least one year in a REGIONAL area.  You will need to prove all this by means of payslips, letter from employer(s) confirming employment and the hours you worked, rent agreements, water/electricity bills (we had to supply 2 years worth - so keep it all), letters from schools etc.  There are a lot of documents you will need to submit but if you have held up your end of the bargain, you will not have a problem getting the 887.  We received ours last year and we had no hassles - I was, however, blown away by the amount of proof they wanted regarding living and working regional.

(If you go onto the immi website and search up 887, you will find the list of documents required for application.)

You will not qualify for medicare on the 489 so will have to get private medical insurance but you will not have to pay international school fees.

Hope that helps, but fire away if you need any further info.

Edited by leeferg1
  • Like 2

Thank you for the info @leeferg1. Very much appreciated!

Do you perhaps know if both of us have to be working for the 12 months? Or can one of us apply for the both of us? :/

While we are at it...any medical insurance you can recommend? ;)

Did you have any hassles with employers, banks, rental agents etc. because you were on a temporary visa? My anxiety has reached new levels!

Thank you so much!!!

Only one of you has to work :) .

We went with IMAN for medical insurance - only the hospital plan as it was the cheapest and the idea was to upgrade if we needed to....we never did upgrade and we didn't ever make a claim so I can't give you any feedback on their service.  We were concentrating on keeping initial costs down so that's what worked for us.  I think they are all pretty much of a muchness.....i.e. damn expensive when you're on a temporary visa!

We had no hassles with estate agents, employers etc on the temp visa.  The only time is came up was with the employer, but we just gave them a copy of our visa grant letter and conditions and they were happy with that.  The only time the bank will give you a problem with a temp visa is when you want to purchase property - they'll then require more of a deposit etc.  

Don't stress about being on the 489.....other than not getting medicare and centrelink assistance, it's a breeze.  Of course, you'll need to like living regional as apposed to city.....and as I mentioned previously, it's an easy visa to get PR from....just stick to the visa conditions and you won't go wrong.  

• Like 1