Renew SA passports in Australia

Monica25

Hi everyone,

I need to renew the children's passports and was wondering if anyone has done it recently? How long does it take? I found all the forms and costs on the website, so will start filling those in so long...

Thanks!

We have just renewed our sons' passports and it wasn't bad. 

I just followed what is needed on the website, got photos certified at the local police station, filled in the forms & got bank cheque, sent everything including a self addressed registered post envelope to Canberra & 2 months later, the passports arrived. 

I have my appointment for my fingerprints this afternoon & hope that my renewal goes as smoothly as the kids ones!!

• Like 1

Thanks, SML! You gave me hope!

Good luck with your application, hope it goes smoothly!

• Like 1

I sent my childrens passports for renewal begining December 2015, still waiting....South Africa have confirmed they received them and are still in the printing process.

2 hours ago, bbop said:

I sent my childrens passports for renewal begining December 2015, still waiting....South Africa have confirmed they received them and are still in the printing process.

Oh...my...soul... I sincerely hope it doesn't take that long to renew my husband's passport next year when it expires.

Just be carefully about fingerprints. Aussie coppers usually think fingerprints are digital copies they have to send directly to the SA high commission. The high commission cannot accept them. 

Digital fingerprints take 30minutes, so you need to book. Two ink fingerprints takes 5 minutes,  provided there is an officer who still knows how to do them. 

If the officer says, "yeah,  I could probably figure out how to do ink ones.".  Just say you will wait till someone who has done it several times is on duty and show them the harsh wording on the application form.  The high commission will have big issues if the fingerprints are not clear. The wording on the forms/website is very clear that your prints need to be clear and readable. 

Also,  one copper has to do the whole thing. 

Oh....my....soul.... That's like the dark ages or something! Even drivers licenses are digital now! All the banks have fingerprint scanners....

@RedPanda and you haven't even seen the look on the policeman's face when you walk in and ask them to fingerprint you? It is not a requirement for an Australian passport.

When we were still in NZ we had to have our RSA passports renewed. We walked into the police station and asked to be fingerprinted. The policeman looked at us in horror and asked us what we had done wrong, were we giving ourselves up, or what was the case. We explained that it was no to all of his questions, but that RSA requires us to be fingerprinted for a new passport application. He wanted to know why, are all RSA people criminals then? He had to ask the senior on duty, who had to ask the top guy on duty, who had to call Police Headquarters to check if this was okay for them to do!!!!! Okay, now that you are laughing, this was way back in 1995, but still, it made us realise the stupid hoops we had to jump through.

• Like 1

:lol: what a good laugh!!!