Into the unknown

Carlo

Hi Everyone

So this is my first post... This isn't really a question but more of a statement and shout out.

We secured our South Australia state sponsored 190 visa late last year and have recently booked one way tickets to Adelaide! My family (wife and 5-year-old son) and I will be making our big move to Adelaide early July 2016.

I am nervous beyond comprehension but at the same time just as excited. By nature, I'm a risk averse person so this change to the unknown is rather overwhelming at times.

This forum has not only helped settle the nerves with all the information it has available but most importantly, the warmth and encouragement shown by all the active members in this space is incredible.

We did our LSD (after we got our PR visa) in February and went to Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Adelaide. Admittedly, it was our last choice of city because we have friends in all of the others but Adelaide, and as such, booked the least amount of time there. Interestingly for me though was how I felt from the moment we landed at Adelaide - I just fell in love with the place, a feeling I can not put into words. A feeling that immediately made me regret not having more time there. And the regret grew as we explored and experienced new places and met new people… what a gem of a place.

We are naturally very sad to be leaving our country, family and friends but are so excited for our adventure to the other side of the world, our new home. There are going to be so many challenges ahead for our little family. No doubt many tears will be shed (both happy and sad) ... and bottles of wine consumed!

The thing that excites me the most and gives me comfort is what we felt when we were on our LSD visit in February... We felt that we could have just settled right there and then because it felt so safe and so right for our family.

I'm SO ready for our adventure… Adelaide, here we come!

• Like 4

Adelaide is a good choice... I hear its way better than the Sydney rat race! Even once sleepy suburbs in Sydney like the hills are getting built up, fast. 

Go on Google and look at pictures of a place called Macquarie Park. There were horse paddocks all over 20 years ago. There are still signs up to watch out for horses on the streets. Now they are building 2700 home apartment complexes without upgrading the roads...

So, Adelaide.. good choice.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

I am sure you will enjoy it here...welcome!  

• Like 1

Hi Carlo,

I know exactly what you mean! We arrived in Adelaide on our LSD trip last year, and it truly felt like we were arriving home! It was so much better than we anticipated, as we had heard quite a few negative things about it from friends who had crossed the pond a few years ago. Ironically none of them had ever set foot in Adelaide, but they had just 'heard' that it was a backwater dorp and that we would be crazy to settle there. Well, we are happy to be crazy! 226 more sleeps until we call Adelaide home. 

Best of luck with the process.  At least there will be no shortage of wine on tap in the Hills region. :)

Ros   

• Like 1