LSD trip to Sydney and Perth

BradleyC

Hi There,

We are planning a family LSD trip in August this year to Sydney and Perth. We are staying with friends and family in both locations, but do not want to overstay our welcome. Any ideas on where to take 2 young kids (5 and 8) for a couple of days around those areas?

I am a teacher and will also be looking at submitting my CV to a number of schools. Any advice would also be appreciated. Will (hopefully) have 189 Visa by then!

Thanks

I haven't done much touristy things with such little ones yet but I think these links might help

Sydney is easy.... So much to do

http://seesydneypass.iventurecard.com/sydney-tourist-attractions-2/

Perth on the other hand.... It's a great place to live, but not amazing tourist wise

www.cavershamwildlife.com.au

www.adventureworld.net.au

www.themaze.com.au

www.aqwa.com.au

I have never been to Perth... but in Sydney you can

1) Get on a ferry boat from Circular Quay to Manley. You spend a few hours on the "beach" at Manly and return. The view on the way is amazing as you go right near the harbour mouth.

2) Similar to 1) But you go to Darling Harbour, I think its somewhere near king street wharf. Then catch a river boat ferry to Paramatta. You travel up the Paramatta river. We normally catch it from Kissing Point park (as there is parking there). You land up in Paramatta and its a 15 min walk to the paramatta shopping centre. I would advise two things, Paramatta is busy during the work week. Also don't catch the river boat back as its another hour on the boat. Paramatta has a train station under the shopping centre. Your kids will be sick of river boats after the trip there. 

Both 1) and 2) can be done with an Opal card (the same way you pay for buses and trains). They are some nice cheaper options if the weather is good and your 8 year old has a smart phone.

3) Find your local aquatic centre, call them up and see if they offer casual pricing.   Ryde has a nice one ->  http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/RALC  or just go to google and ask for images of "Ryde Aquatic Centre".  But, be carefull,  for example Ku-Ring-Gai Aquatic centre is more like a Virgin Active. It just has two pools with swimming lanes in them. It doesn't have the fun things like the Surf Ryder that Ryde has. So, check the website of the aquatic centre close to where you will be staying.

4) Grab some meet and head to the local park. Many parks have braai facilities. Ask the people who you will be staying with about which parks are best in your area. Many of the parks in Sydney are really nice.

5) Go to fetherdale wildlife park. Look, its a mission to get to and it isn't s fancy as Taronga Zoo. But it is bigger, quieter and cheaper. You can't go to Australia without seeing a Koala or a Kanga. Its also a good reason to go and see western Sydney, where houses are almost affordable. 

6) Head to your local RSL for lunch. The RSL is part TAB (i.e. gambling), Restaurant, Pub and functions venue. But the Retired Servicemen's League clubs are such a part of growing up in Aussie. Many of them even have small museums to honour Australian war veterans. Your local RSL will often have events on to attract people, even events for kids. Just ask your hosts where the nearest club is or in Sydney you can use -> http://www.clubsnsw.com.au/contact/contact-clubsnsw/find-your-local-club  to find your local.

7) There are often events in your local area. For example there might be a pre-chirstmas event put on by the local council or there might be one on Australia day, etc.. They normally find an open space and have entertainment, food stalls and fireworks. You can try the webpages of the local council where you will be staying to look for any local events.

8) My last pick. I have never been here, but I hear Skyzone is a lot of fun. https://skyzone.com.au/. Aussies LOVE fireworks and trampolines. Between 7) and 8)  you may just get to enjoy both.

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...

i would rather do the 189 visa first and then visit. Its a costly experience and you may as well get your visa validated at the same time.