Interview attire

Question

Hi all

What would be suitable attire for attending interviews (for men that is)? I'm in software development and the look can be a bit laid back in the office. Thanks!

8 answers to this question

My husband is in IT and I can confirm that it is full suit and tie for interviews.   He has a one and only "Interview Suit" that makes an appearance for interviews only.  After that, its usually smart trousers and a long sleeved shirt, without tie.  Buy yourself a decent suit from Woolies and bring it over.  Also, buy yourself 4 or 5 smart (predominantly dark) trousers, black shoes and about 10 nice crisp long sleeved shirts.  Get a few white cotton vests to wear underneath in winter.  Get yourself one or two casual jackets for getting to an from work in winter when it is (believe it or not) p!$$ cold in Sydney.  A scarf wouldn't hurt either.  There are in most companies a casual Friday attire.  This means a smart pair of jeans and a long or short sleeve collar/buttoned shirt (depending on season).  With dark casual shoes.  Rule of thumb if in doubt, start off more formal than you think, you can always go more casual next week.  

• Like 2

Regardless of the lifestyle where you end up working, if you are going for an interview then I would say that a suit is a necessity (even for women). Despite laidback attitudes of Australia, I think they take their clothing quite seriously (I am referring mostly to Melbourne and Sydney). Once you've got the job, you will probably find it a little more casual - my husband is a developer and hasn't worn a suit since the interview 13 years ago. Many companies have 'casual fridays'. 

• Like 1

Just to add to the question, by suit do you mean jacket and tie? I have found that in SA and in the IT industry a tie is pretty much dead except for investment banks (posh twats).

• Like 1

By suit I mean a dark suit that was bought as a "set", where the jacket and trousers were made to be worn together.  The shirt should be light in colour and dead clean/crisp.  Nice sober, inoffensive tie. Shiny black shoes, with you on your best behaviour, groomed like you were meeting your MIL for the first time.  

• Like 2

I found suits to be cheaper in Aus than in SA. I picked up a really smart one from ManToMan for $130 and stylish dress shirt for $30 next door. $20 to get the pants legs adjusted. 

Even taking the exchange rate into account it was a bargain.

Also, even though I am a programmer I was complimented at all interviews for making the effort. 

• Like 1

Some IT jobs have a lot more formal attire here than they have in RSA.  

Hubby's first job as an analyst developer here in Melbourne was at a company where you wore formal work attire - work pants ( NO chinos ) , crisp long-sleeved shirt AND a tie and definitely no casual Fridays. 

His new job is less formal for day to day work - same work pants and crisp shirt, but no tie unless you meet with clients.

At my company the IT dept is in golf shirts and chinos 99% of the time, and even the CIO makes the more formal work wear look casual. 

I think the golden rule here in Melbourne though is suit for interviews, regardless of position. Then for first day at work, rock up smart, and then assess what is normal. Rather start too formal and adapt to what you see around on a daily basis, and when in doubt, just ask what is acceptable.

Ask your agent if you need a suit!  

If you pitch up at the next Facebook in a suit you will be at a big disadvantage. There are many companies in Aussie who try to rebel and be the exact opposite of a big bank.  

But you should be able to gage by whether they are interested in you because you worked on an enterprise messaging system or because you know Logstash and New Relic. 

The company I work at asks interviewees if they will be keen to play table tennis in the table in the office. If you go to our warehouse in a suit they will ask you if you if you are lost and looking for another company. 

So,  interviewing at a trendy internet startup means no suit,  ever.  A smart casual look is much more appropriate. 

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1