SA vs Aus schooling ages

lizS

Hi there

If my daughters are in grade 2 (age 7 turning 8 in August)  and grade 4 (age 9 turning 10 in July) here in SA and we move this June to Queensland, will they stay in the same grade in Australia for the rest of the school year?

Thanks

Hi there,

We used to live in Brisbane, are currently in South Africa but plan to move back to Queensland with in the next 18 months. My son is also in Gr 2 this side. In Queensland their cutt off for a year is done from 1 July to 30 June the next year, so if your daughter was born in the first half of 2008, she would have been in Gr3 over there now, but because she is born in the second half of 2008, she's going to join the Gr 2's.

So my son was born in Feb 2008...if we move over beginning of next year, he will go to Gr 4 and will skip Gr 3.  My concern is with my second child who is in Gr R on this side at the moment. If we move there next year she will go to Gr 2 and  they already learn to read and write in Prep (their version of Gr R but more intense). So I'm currently in the process of getting het into extra reading lessons on this side to get her a little bit more ready for that side.

You older daughter will also stay in Gr 4 if you go this year still.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thanks so much Dora. That is very helpful information, I hear your concern about your daughter - going from grade R here to grade 2 there will be a drastic jump. Great idea to plan ahead and get her extra lessons.