Courses for Teacher Aid

Dora

Hi there,

I'm thinking about doing a course qualify as a teacher aid and do a career change when we start over in Aus.  Has anyone done a course like this?  Which one is the best? I googled a few courses  and I see that it is online with a practical period. I was thinking of doing the online part here and then we we get to Aus, do the practical. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Dora there are many online and blended learning courses here in Australia. Not sure about a teachers aid but there is the Diploma in early childhood education and care. Depending on who you learn with its generally a 1.5 year course with 320 hours practical placement. Depending on your education level and visa status you could get these courses absolutely free! Kindergartens seem to be springing up all over the place here and with that comes the need for teachers.

There are many organisations offering the courses. Open College but this is not free. Also AMES, TMG and various others. I am going to enrol in January when my son is I school. ?

• 3 months later...

@Dora Did you ever get to the bottom of the teacher aid course idea?

I am a Grade 1 to Grade 6 qualified teacher but have taught Grade 1 for many years now. I would love a change in pace and not have to full responsibility of a class and the parents;).

I see that before I can even begin working in NSW i need a WWC certificate which can only be finalised once we land. Bit of a pain as hubby and I are would like to exhaust all job options before leaving SA in the hope of landing in Oz with a job but now that cannot happen for me.

Hi Louise

Have you thought about doing relief teaching rather than teacher aid? You would have to register as a teacher with the NSW Board of Studies http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/future-returning-teachers/overseas-teachers/. Lengthy process but definitely worth the effort. Although relief teaching is not always moonshine and roses but the pay is way higher than a teacher aid. You have to be flexible but it can be very rewarding. You don't have the responsibilities of a fulltime teacher, no marking, no parent meetings. Of course if there are any incidents you have to manage them on the day but if any extra management is needed the teacher and school follow it up. And you might not have stability in your work week but if you can afford that, that should be fine. Sometimes I work 5 days a week for most of the term. There are always short term contracts going around. Maybe for a few weeks, 1 term or longer and if you are already registered you could easily apply for the positions.

Good luck with your journey that lies ahead!

Cheers

Aneldari

Hi Louise,

I have enrolled for the teacher aid course at Open Colleges. I know 2 ladies in Brisbane who are busy with the course and they gave very good feedback on the course. It is an online course with a workplacement part as well.  The enrollment process was easy and I enrolled from here. 

I am not a qualified teacher so this was actually the better option for me but if you are qualified then relief teaching might be a better option for you.

My course kicked off at the end of May but I have not even looked at the work yet - my husband's job came through at the same time and I have been busy with getting us over there ever since....Hopefully I can put some extra time in once we're packed up and waiting to fly out in September.

Let me know if you want more info on the course.

Good luck with everything

Liz