Please Help...So overwhelmed

RobynW85

Hi Everyone.

Hubby and I have decided to make the move, for a better future for our boys ;)

Im a little confused on where to start though. I have read a million blogs, forums and been on the various sites.

Completely overwhelmed on what to do first.

Any direction would be so appreciated...

Feeling lost and confused

Thanks

RW

Hi RW,

Have you read this thread? It might just help explain the process in managable steps. 

I would suggest working through a registered migration agent to take the stress and uncertainty out of the process. There's a whole bunch of them on the forum here. Stephen Dickson is extremely helpful - @SD_MOA - have a chat to him perhaps

@Jordy Thanks so much and i have that booked marked to refer to. Our main problem seems to be which visa  is best to apply for. 

Quick overview...my husband is currently an Engineering manager and has been involved in the vehicle coach building for the last 6 years, BUT he does not have any qualifications. Any general skills assessment which we have done online, have stated that he is not eligible for a 189...

I am a qualified hospitality and event manager, but have not been directly involved in this line for the last few years. I am currently a Project Coordinator.

@riaanp we have had a chat to a fe agents, but at the end of the day, we would like to try do the process by ourselves, purely to keep our costs down. Thanks so much for the info, i really appreciate it

@RobynW85 No problem Robyn. Based on your comment to Jordy regarding your husband's qualification it doesn't seem that you will have a straightforward application. What I mean by that is, for instance in our case, we decided not to use an agent and that is purely because I qualified for a 189 Visa quite simply. (Points for age, qualification and English = 65) when we considered a state sponsorship, or employers sponsored or any other way of getting a visa other than the 189, then we seriously would consider an agent. But, if you don't use an agent then there is more than enough information here and on the web to help you guys get started. I suppose the starting point is to answer the question of which route to a visa you are going to take? Which visa will you be eligible for?

@riaanp Thanks so much for the reply.

Im feeling totally naive in this hole process, but will persevere either way as we feel it is the only option for a proper future for our boys.

We have been focused on getting a visa for him, but perhaps we should consider apply for the visa on my name. 

Crickey, i think i am going to go have another read through on Jordy's 100 step process!

Let me also give Stephen Dickson a contact aswell. Thanks again

• Like 1

@TeeTMI is also an agent on this forum and would be worth talking to as well

I also think that you'll need an agent in your case because without qualifications the application will be tricky.  One wrong move and you won't get it.  The people who go it alone usually fit very neatly into the requirements such as have a degree in the same area that they work in, have enough experience, can pass the English test and are in an age bracket to get good points.  My opinion is that you are taking a big risk to go it alone without qualifications as they are the backbone of being assessed for an occupation.

• Like 1

I strongly agree with the comments you have received so far concerning the application and using agents. I did our application myself, but as stated, that is because the route was very clear, and I fit very neatly into their boxes (Age, IELTS, Degree=65 points), nothing they could question.

From what I've read the process can get very murky when your qualifications are not as clearly cut (the 189 is after all called the Skilled Independent visa, so that is where they place the emphasis). If you can't prove your skills to their satisfaction then you are likely going to lose your application fee, and that is a lot of money, it's more than what the agents ask.

Regardless of the route you take, I am given to understand that you will have to have IELTS (or similar) results, so if you want to get started on something, book your English tests. If you can find your occupation on the SOL, then I'd recommend you both do the test, and see who has best score. Also make sure that you have your children's unabridged birth certificates (adults don't need them, but kids do, as far as I know). This can sometimes take a lot more time than one would think.

But I really would recommend you use a good agent.

*Disclaimer: I am not registered/qualified to give immigration advice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@RobynW85, Welcome! I also agree with the advice given to you so far (also not an Migration Agent;-) ) you can get your ielts and the birth certificates started. We used Migrate2Oz as agents and I can recommend them! Ray and his team were great. They were friendly, helpful and always answered my silly questions, keeping me sane in this process;-)  No hassles at all and my visa was granted 2 werks after I sent in our final document. I know lots of pepple recommend Stephen as well.

My recommendation is to at least book an appointment with an agent to get some direction.  We first attended a free seminar with Immagine and thereafter booked an appointment with them. Before we met with the agent we sent through our CV's so that we literally met the agent ONCE for an hour. He had already worked out which visa's we could look at as options and advised us accordingly. It was an altogether pleasant experience.  My husband also needed to go various skills assessments and we are emigrating with a minor child from a previous marriage so we definitely did not fit into the neat little boxes.  Although it has cost us a good chunk of money, I honestly was happy to do it.  We are in touch with them weekly and I literally have two lever arch files full of documents that we have had to submit.  I would definitely have given up long ago if we were trying to do this process ourselves.  In fact, in one case my husband sent through all his documents (I think it was to do the Vetassess) and the agent said it was not right and and and.  Eventually I took a day,  scanned and labelled each document and ticked it off against the check list we got from Vetassess.  And miraculously, all was then in order.  I can't imagine where we'd be if my husband had been uploading documents directly to an Immi account from the start :)

Anyway, we are still waiting after almost two years from starting the process, but the end is near I think.

For us the ONLY way to go was for the PR 189 visa.  We have two children who we'd need to educate (for free thank you) and I'd like to know that we'd be covered for any medical emergency from day one.  Although we don't mind where we go, I would like to know that those two basics are covered.

Anyway, best of luck, but definitely look at getting advice from someone who really does know what they are doing FIRST.  It's not easy to change direction halfway through if you've made a mistake. 

• Like 1