State schools in Sydney

ChrisinBris

Hi Sydneysiders

Where are the good state schools in Sydney (primary, middle and high), that are in relatively good areas that aren't 400kms away from the city?

I know I am asking the impossible, but let's assume on the 35-45 mins to the city distance, does anyone have experience of a really good state school. 

I presently live in Brisbane and work mostly in Sydney. Moving is something we are considering but the worry about finding a good school is the biggest concern. The kids are currently in a private school here so we would help fund the move by making them go to state school...

Thanks

Chris

The best school in Sydney is in Epping. Thats 45 minutes from the city. 

New South Wales does a standardised school leaving test called the HSC. So, its really easy to compare schools:

http://bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

Just be carefull when they say, "government selective". Not just anyone can go to those schools... 

Here is a good one... Its in seven hills, so about an hour from the CBD by train and in a relatively affordable suburb; but it is a selective school -> http://bettereducation.com.au/SelectiveSchoolView0.aspx?Name=Girraween%20High%20School,2145  

To add to what Monsta has shared above.

The HSC tells you about High Schools, but not Primary or Middle Schools, which use NAPLAN, but the problem is that isn't always an accurate view. It falls flat in many cases, our son's school is one of them.

He's in the fastest growing school in NSW, but their NAPLAN results don't show up well, why? Because 6 years the school had a total of 65 students. They couldn't fill a class to write the NAPLAN tests.

As more people continue to move into the city and many long time residents choosing not to move the school has swelled. This year they have 300 enrollments and are currently being renovated and expanded with a multi-million dollar inject by NSW education which will allow for 400 next year and a new inner city high school to be built for 1,200 by 2020.

As such they have state of the art facilities and in my opinion some of the best teachers because of it, but on paper it appears they aren't getting results.

His school is just one of many that face the same issue.

Until you get here it will be very hard to pick just one, as Monsta shared many are selective as well like Sydney Boys & Girls and others have very strict catchment areas.

Overall though I think the level of education is high. As with most economic situations the schools in wealthier more affluent areas often have better resources, if not provided by the state then the P&C. Our son's school fair raised over $20,000 to buy new musical instruments for the band room, I can tell you that wasn't from selling $1 cookies.

Cheers

Matt

I am lucky to have found a rental 1.7kms from work in epping. 

The suburb is booming. I have also been told that Epping has the best schools. We live on a very wide quiet street. 

The parks are being updated. 

If you are looking for a decent rental. There is a 3 bedroom brick home going for $500 close to the station.

Send me a pm i will take a picture of the add. 

Excellent state schools, cherrybrook tech ( high school), Normanhurst boys HS,Normanhurst west public primary, Epping,Hornsby girls (selective) Pymble public primary school,Gordon primary ..st Ives north has a great reputation 

i could go go on and on....if you try find a rental on the northshore you will find many excellent public and private schools to choose from, close to train station and within 45 minutes of CBD or closer depending on the suburb and your budget..