Good primary schools in South Australia and age the children strart school

MonHaDU

Hi all, thanks to everyone for all the shared info, I have learnt so much by just reading the posts. Our family will be heading to South Australia early next year (2017). We will be going to South Australia due to state sponsorship. Our thinking is to find good primary schools in South Australia and then to look for a place to stay, find jobs etc. based on the school area? Would this work? We have a son who will turn 5 in November 2016 and another who will turn 3 in December 2016. From what ages do kids go to Primary school in SOuth Australia? Does anyone have any recommendations for good Primary schools in South Australia? And we have heard that creches / nursery schools are expensive and that it might be worth it for me to stay at home and look after our younger son until he aslo startes with school? Any advice on the above please?

Your 5year old will start Reception in 2017 (the first year of primary school).   Your 3 year old will start kindergarten as a 4 year old at the start of 2018  It will be cheaper to stay home with him until he goes to kindergarten at least.  Most mums (not moms here) join a playgroup (sometimes linked to the school or a local community group - the local council will have some info for you).  Also with one child at school you'll soon meet other mums from the school

as far as choosing a school goes, that is too difficult to answer.  There are so many schools and all of them are fine. In my experience (having lived in a couple of cities here now) it is better to live near your work and then find a school to fit that. Also join the Facebook group Sough Africans in Adelaide and perhaps get some suggestions on there. 

What at sort of work will you be looking for because that may have a geographical influence. For example a pilot would want to be near the airport, a doctor near the particular hospital etc. 

Thanks so much RYLC! This is helpful already. I am in the pharmaceutical field but looking for a change... So truthfully anything will do.. My husband is a pipeline designer. We are going over on my papers, but hoping he will find a job field (also does not have to be in his field necessarily) and then I can sort out the kids until they are both in school. Then I will look for something to do.. I am hoping to my be able to do something from home while I look after our younger one. But not sure how to go about doing that? I have done a cake decorating course so hoping to perhaps start doing that from home for additional income in the beginning. We are basically just hoping to 'survive' on his income in the beginning and will look for other opportunities later... How long in advance would I need to enroll my 5 year old into a school? Would I need to do it from South Africa if we are only planning to go to South Australia in December2016/Jan2017? Looking forward to meet other mums there, new beginnings:-)