Shipment of goods- rugs

Nix6858

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to draw on some of your experience in moving to Aus...We will be shipping our household goods end of Apr 2016 to Melbourne. Are we required to have all our rugs professionally cleaned with certificates for quarantine purposes or is just a good vacuum good enough? A friend of mine mentioned that she had to have hers cleaned, but our shipment company didn't say anything about this. Also, I have a Jute (type of grass) rug for my living room, will I be allowed to bring this with?

TIA

I asked my shipping company yesterday about rugs. Still waiting for an answer. I will post their response when I get it.

I dont think Jute is allowed- would it not fall under woven mat?  see below 

Wooden items are allowed into Australia if they are free from bark, insects, signs of insect damage (such as borer holes) or any other contamination.

To check for insect damage look closely at wooden items for holes and sawdust.
Souvenirs made of wood, seeds or leaves must be declared on your Incoming Passenger Card and will be inspected on arrival.

Penalties

Items that are not allowed will be destroyed, or you can pay AUD$100 to have them treated.

Examples

Masks, statues, puppets, bowls, ornaments, woven mats, seed necklaces

Related websites

Department of Agriculture

Ok, so my shipping company finally came back to me. As Sandy said above, wooden stuff is ok, as long as it's not antique or have any signs of insect damage.

Carpets in general is fine as long as they are professionally cleaned a day or 2 before packing. We are not taking any chances, will sell the carpets. We can get new ones as and when required in Aus.