Brisbane

Naomihome

Question

1. Anyone moved to Brisbane?

2. Is the move there a lot more expensive since the distance travelled is greater?

3. Which suburbs are nice and affordable?

4. Type of people?

5. Work opportunities/expansion/economic climate in general?

6. Things to avoid.

8 answers to this question

Hi @Naomihome

1: I am busy moving from Perth to Brisbane, will update the forum on the costs etc.

2: I FAR prefer the north, having stayed in Brown Plains for two months. Yes I am not a seasoned Brisbanite but....the north is good.

3: I like The Gap, Mango Hill, RedCliffe, Margate, Scarborough, Deception Bay and Bribie.

4: Very nice and laid back.

5: Far better than Perth in terms of IT.

6: Watch out here, they seem to jump red lights! Other than that, nothing to whine about.

15 minutes ago, SurferMan said:

Hi @Naomihome

1: I am busy moving from Perth to Brisbane, will update the forum on the costs etc.

2: I FAR prefer the north, having stayed in Brown Plains for two months. Yes I am not a seasoned Brisbanite but....the north is good. (ok but moving costs, like the actual moving of your furniture from SA to Brisbane?) 

3: I like The Gap, Mango Hill, RedCliffe, Margate, Scarborough, Deception Bay and Bribie.

4: Very nice and laid back.

5: Far better than Perth in terms of IT.

6: Watch out here, they seem to jump red lights! Other than that, nothing to whine about.

Hi, 

We lived in Brisbane for 3.5 years and we were very happy in the Bayside area, (Wakerley, Manly, Wynnum) but also a bit closer to the city is Carindale.  Depending how you feel about this, there are a lot of Saffas staying in those areas.  The advantage of these areas is that they are close to the seaside but just about 15kms from the river and CBD.  Carindale has a huge mall.  I believe the state schools (primary) in the area is not bad. i.e Gumdale SS, Manly SS and Belmont closer to Carindale.  The state Highschools in the area is questionable though.  We sent our son to Citipointe which is a Christian school in Carindale.  Lot's of Saffa kids and teachers in that school.  These areas are relatively affordable and are also close to Bus routes and Trains.  The people (locals and Saffas) are quite friendly and will make an effort to get to know you.  We were very happy there. 

I think people are more relaxed in Brisbane.  Sort of a big city with a small town feel to it.

• Like 1

Dora we used to live in Carindale so used the large Westfield Mall a lot.  House prices in that area have gone through the roof and a 4 bed 2 bath double garage house in Carindale is close to the $1 Million mark now.  Seems unbelievable really in 15 years because we bought in 2001 for under $250,000 (same size house).

We also liked Wynnum etc and if you are near the train then getting into the city is dead easy.  We avoided houses in the northern suburbs because at the time they were mainly older Queenlander style (on stilts) with big gaps in the floor boards and geckos galore - my pet hate!!  So I wanted a modern newer style house were we could keep the wild life out.  Over time there are now lots more modern style houses in the north but by then we were settled in Carindale.

• Like 1

I liked the feel of the city more than any others just by research. We will rent and our rent budget is 450-500 per week.

I liked the older houses from street view and the surrounding nature. I prefer a settled area with trees rather than new area that will prob bake to death in the sun without any shade around. (But nature prob involves lots of scary killer spiders and emus).

Wind is annoying which is why I definitely dont want to live right on the coast.

But at first, I'd prob settle for the most convenient and cheaper option.

All the companies I will prob apply at are in the city centre. My husband will prob work at the Uni.

Primary Schools will be our first focus.

I hope I have the right approach to things in mind.

3 hours ago, Naomihome said:

Wind is annoying which is why I definitely dont want to live right on the coast.

Brisbane is on a river not the coast so the windy coastal conditions don't really apply.  Even Wynnum and Manly are on a protected bay and not the coast proper.  They don't really have a beach either.  For that you need to visit the Sunshine or Gold Coast.

3 hours ago, Naomihome said:

All the companies I will prob apply at are in the city centre. My husband will prob work at the Uni.

Primary Schools will be our first focus

I know many people on here would say that the first focus will be jobs but maybe you mean that that is a given.  There are quite a number of universities and their locations are all over the place from the Sunshine Coast, all over Brisbane and on the Gold Coast with split campuses as well.

• University of Queensland  [UQ]
  • Bond University  [Bond]
  • Central Queensland University  [CQU]
  • Griffith University  [GRIFFITH]
  • James Cook University  [JCU]
  • Queensland University of Technology  [QUT]
  • Southern Cross University  [SCU]
  • University of Southern Queensland  [USQ]
  • University of the Sunshine Coast  [USC]

So when you say "the uni" do you have one in mind?

• Like 1

My daughter is working at consulting engineers in Fortitude Valley. She lives is Forest Lake and takes the train every day I think it takes about 45 minutes and another 15 minutes walking to work.