Visas for Europe/UK on a South African passport

Tebbutts

Hi all. My son is going to Europe and the UK in June/July. He will be travelling on his South African passport. Has anybody been through the process of applying for a Schengen and UK visa from Perth? Any advice on the easiest way to do this?

Hi there

The UK one should be fairly straightforward through the consulate in Perth.

For the Schengen, he needs to apply to the country that he will arrive in first or the country where he'll spend the most time. This is a bit of a problem in Perth as there are only a handful of countries that offer a visa facility from here. I got one from the Greek consulate last year and they (Greek consulate) also do visas for France. 

Austria, Germany and Latvia have subcontracted to VFS in Perth for Schengen visas. 

Some of the smaller consulates don't offer the facility as the visa requires biometric data collection (fingerprints) and as already mentioned, many countries do not have representation in Perth.

Best is to plan the itinerary to arrive in one of the countries I've mentioned (or do more research about other possibilities and share the info here!)

He will need a very detailed itinerary - any gaps and they will only grant the visa for the time period accounted for. There is quite a long list of requirements, including medical insurance, proof of income, letter from employer, hotel bookings or letters of invitation to stay with relatives etc.

You need to make an appointment well in advance but you can't apply more than 3 months before you travel. The Conslates mentioned have the application forms and list of requirements on their websites.

Hope this helps!

Dill

• Like 1

Thank you, Dill! Can't wait to get our Aussie passports, then we won't have to go through all this again. Much appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

Did your son manage to get his visa sorted? If so, which consulate did he use?

Have since discovered that neither Czech Republic, Spain nor Portugal do visas in Perth but Italy do.

I need to get cracking as we plan to go in July but now I have to work out which country to enter first and plan the itinerary accordingly!

Yes, definitely looking forward to getting that Aussie passport.

Cheers

Dill

• 5 months later...

Hi Dill. Hope I am not too late replying to you. As he was entering France first, he applied for his Schengen visa here in Perth through the Greek Consulate. All worked out in the end. 

Thanks, I've used the Greek/French consulate before. Had to use the Austrian consulate this time (VFS are their agents) as we flew to Vienna, then drove to Prague. They didn't want to issue a visa as we were only spending 3 days in Austria and the rest of the time in Czech Republic and Spain (neither of which issue Schengen visas from Perth!).

To cut a long story short, they forced me to lie! I took my phone out there and then and booked an extra 4 nights in Vienna and emailed the booking to the agent and manually changed the itinerary. Ridiculous!

Still more than 2 years to go before citizenship. We're trying to avoid Europe until I have an Aussie passport, but have a wedding to attend in Cyprus next year, so will need to do it all again?

Hope your son enjoyed his trip!