Tax number

FairGo

Hi, if one has secured a job while in South Africa, is it possible to apply for an Australian tax number?  

You have to be living permanently in Aus before you can apply for a TRN. Unfortunately it's just one of those things.

Look at it this way. There are things you can't do from Australia,  like visit your South African mates one last time.  

Getting a tax file number is painless.  For me it took just one phone call. 

Rather go to lunch with mates or make sure they really have cancelled your TV license ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FairGo said:

is it possible to apply for an Australian tax number?  

Here is all you need to know to get a TFN.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Apply-for-a-TFN/

• Like 1

Thanks @monsta.  I have forgotten about the TV licence!  I need to make a list.

Edited by FairGo

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Just a quick question. I am on a 189 visa. Do i apply as a "Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors" which is online or "Australian residents" which is via the post office?

Thanks

45 minutes ago, RYLC said:

@Yuvi Choose Australian Resident for your tax file number.

Thanks @RYLC , so i would need to go into the post office to process my application?

@Yuvi It's been many years since I applied so if that is what the process requires then yes.

The reason you need to choose Australian Resident is because you are resident both by visa AND for tax purposes.  The tax rates on wages are different for the different types of workers and Australian Resident (which you are) is the "best" tax rate by getting the first $18,000 ish (the figure is updated every so often) tax free.  Other types of workers don't get this and are taxed at their top tax rate on every dollar earned.

Hie @RYLC , just to follow-up on @Yuvi's question, i am also on a 189 visa and will be applying for a TFN soon as i land. Following the "ASK" button on the website  https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Apply-for-a-TFN/ leads me to applying as a permanent migrant (having answered No to the question "Are you an Australian citizen?"). Am i correct or...??

@goodmorning - You move along the 'permanent migrant' selections for the TFN.  You will need a mailing address as they will post it to you within 28 days.

Thanks guys for the responses. Much appreciated

I called the call center and they advised that i would need to apply the Permanent Migrant route. So all online :)

Edited by Yuvi
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi @Yuvi,

We are coming over on 190 VISA'S, I am starting to work on 1 November. I assume that the process will be the same for me to get the TFN? How long did you wait for the actual number?

Thanks

G

11 hours ago, Geite said:

Hi @Yuvi,

We are coming over on 190 VISA'S, I am starting to work on 1 November. I assume that the process will be the same for me to get the TFN? How long did you wait for the actual number?

Thanks

G

Hi @Geite, i dont see why it would be any different for a 190.

I got the number posted to me about a week later. All very efficient here :-)

Hi Geite,

I'm on a 190 and received my TFN within a week in the post. It's all very very efficient here. You can only apply once you've landed. If you try to do it before you've landed the website picks up that you're not in the country yet.