Teaching Prospects

Odendaal

Hi all,

As some of you know, hubby and I moved to Australia (by the help and strength of this forum may I add) and we've been here for just over a month. I am a process engineer and he is a mechanical engineer. We were incredibly fortunate enough that one of us (me) found a good paying job on the west side of melbourne. He is struggling a bit but I have faith that he will find something soon. We also recently bought a car cash and we are currently living temporarily with family in east.

I never really enjoyed what I do (fair enough - I have only been in this industry - construction-  for 2.25 years) and I far more enjoyed studying in my undergrad. I studied part time last year (honours) and think it was the only thing I enjoyed about last year!

Thing is - you can't go on studying for the rest of your life: 1. It's expensive, 2. You become over qualified for any jobs out there. I thought that it was only in SA that I would not enjoy the industry but I'm not really keen on it now in Australia either :/ (now I am not ungrateful for my job - I wouldn't just drop it now because I don't like it). So I have come to the realisation that I'm not really comfortable in industry and thus I don't enjoy it. The reason why I don't feel comfortable is because I don't feel like I am technically strong enough to apply what I have learnt - and this is just the harsh reality =. I just enjoy learning, doing research and writing tests and reports (am I the only one!?).

And now after doing a bit of soul searching and researching, I am toying with the idea of persuing teaching secondary school (Maths and/or Science). I've checked at melbourne university, the course is 2 years and you need to have a degree in something prior to taking the course.

What, my fellow forumites, is your opinions regarding this move? I would, of course, only take this on if hubby has a stable income while I study. I may even work part time (who knows?!)

OR DO I JUST NEED A KICK IN THE BACKSIDE AND GET ON WITH MY LIFE and appreciate what I have :P 

Thanks x

Edited by Odendaal
  • Like 1

@Odendaal   If you plan to work for the rest of your life.... get my meaning? Then you have to do a job you enjoy, or it will eventually make you miserable. I honestly don't know whether teaching would be the job you want, but it would certainly involve learning! From my information studying at university here can be pretty expensive, even if you have PR. I am not suggesting do not go to Melbourne Uni, but do have a look at Open Universities Australia, it may cost you less and I believe it is similar to UNISA in RSA.

https://www.open.edu.au/?&mkwid=sDVC74GpN|dc&pcrid=53957987033&kword=open%20university%20australia&match=e&plid=&DD=&gclid=CJuak_jB-MsCFYGWvQod67YOvw

• Like 1

I agree with Mara, if you guys can afford for you to take time off to study when your husband has a job I would definitely do it. I am sure this move has taught you that life is too short to be doing something you hate (or living in a place you are unhappy in)

• Like 1

I would strongly suggest that you first try to find a high school to visit to see what it is like.  Ask if you can sit in on a few classes. High school kids are very different here compared to RSA and often more time is spent on behaviour management than actual teaching.  The automatic respect that RSA children give is not automatic here and teaching can be a tough gig.  On top of that, teaching as a career has become increasingly contract base so it is not as common to get a permanent job anymore.  Contracts can be for only 10 months and not the full year or they can even be term by term.  The job security is just not there like it was long ago. 

My comments are based on the experience of a close friend who moved from engineering to teaching just a few years ago.  It has not been the career change he hoped for and he is now looking at moving into corporate training rather than teaching so that he is at least dealing with adults who want to be there rather than disrespectful teens who swear every second word and don't want to be there.  Not all the kids are like this but it is more than just a few and has made it unpleasant at times.

From what you say about your love of learning and research, I would think that a lecturing position would suit you better.  Perhaps you could have a look at becoming a Research Assistant for a professor.  The pay is not too bad and you would get all the benefits of a learning environment without the strife of hormonal teens.

• Like 1

I was reading an article about the 3rd Apple founder who said that his advice was to "find something you love doing so much that you'd do it for nothing" and then you'd never work a day in your life and people would give you money.  

I paraphrase a (tiny) bit, but that kept me going through the 80's, 90's and 00's

• Like 1

This is not unusual for many others. The average person change their career at least once in their live. An engineering colleague studied law and now runs a successful practice in IP & patents. Many students started off studying one career, change course halfway through and end up elsewhere. One of my earlier lecturers was an engineer but lectures Accounting management. He hated that - but he is still doing that today and still unhappy (poor students). You are lucky you want to change and once hubby found a job you can.

There is the story about a person coming from a renown family and the parents pressured her to study a professional career as medical doctor. Once completed she hated that. After deep soul searching she went into journalism/tourism and combined her medical background with reporting on medical research in other countries - and loved it. So what I try to say is combine it with something you love, give it a twist and diversify yourself from the rest.

The problem is that it is not easy to know what will suite you best. Psychometric tests are often very useful to help with this.

A great self-help book if you work through the exercises is "What color is your parachute"

http://1.droppdf.com/files/SEDmj/what-color-is-your-parachute-2016-richard-n-bolles.pdf

Shout if you need a method that may help to find life goals, self actualization and personal alignment.

• Like 1

Hi all, as always, you are all so helpful and supportive - thank you.

I will definitely heed all your advice. Unfortunately, I'll have to leave my dreams on ice since we need to make a bit more money before going on to study again. Also really thinking of taking a Psychometric test, @ottg.

Lecturing at a uni also sounds great. Luckily I am in the land of opportunity now :D 

Will let you know how we go.

Mel

• Like 1