Possible extension on taking up my residency?

Yvh

Question

Hi All,

I have obtained my residency a few years ago and for personal reasons have not been able to do the move as yet. We are now ready to go but it seems the Visa expires in 4 months time. The laywers has advised that it is extremely difficully to get an extension if you dont have something solid like a job offer to support the request. Is this true? I would just like to double check as a few extra months to get everything ready and look for a job would be really great. 

If this is true and we go over without any jobs, how long do you suppose it will take on average to get a job? I am in finance and husband is in procurement/admin. 

Thanks,

Y

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

Pretty simple - sh!t or get off the pot. 

You can't use a PR Visa as an insurance policy forever.

My advice is that 5 months is more than enough time to make the move. If you apply yourself and work hard you will get a job. Onviously how long that takes depends on a lot of factors.

• Like 2

Good question. I don't know the definite answer but have also heard from other people that the deadline is almost set in stone. Apparently reapplying for the visa often doesn't turn out favorable either as they don't feel you are serious about your commitment to move to Australia.

2 hours ago, Yvh said:

Hi All,

I have obtained my residency a few years ago and for personal reasons have not been able to do the move as yet. We are now ready to go but it seems the Visa expires in 4 months time. The laywers has advised that it is extremely difficully to get an extension if you dont have something solid like a job offer to support the request. Is this true? I would just like to double check as a few extra months to get everything ready and look for a job would be really great. 

If this is true and we go over without any jobs, how long do you suppose it will take on average to get a job? I am in finance and husband is in procurement/admin. 

Thanks,

Y

I've had two cousins and a friend who skimmed in with a day to spare.  None of them were able to get an extension.  I think that the logic is that you get 5 years to make the move and that that should be more than long enough.  There is never a good time to move really.

Plenty of people come without jobs and make it work.  It is far too difficult to say how long to get a job as it depends on so many factors: where you are going, how well you present at interview, what contacts you have that may help, a bit of luck...  Unfortunately it's now or never.  Sounds like you just have to jump if you are still coming.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I only know of one guy who got past them..my mate who is the FD of a huge company in SA. He said he got an extension...but I reckon its only cos he is bringing in millions and I mean millions.

As far as I know you get 5 years, which in my mind is tons of time.

• Like 1

Very definite - be here before your visa expires OR you have lost it!

• Like 2

Extremely difficult in your circumstances could be interpreted to be impossible. Unless you can demonstrate substantial links to Australia ie property, business, work, family etc you have no chance of getting an extension!

We only made up our minds to give it a bash with 6 weeks or so to spare. We landed 2-3 days before our 5 years expired.  We were giving up so much in S.A that it was a really hard decision. We are here now - been here 4 months and all I can say is- give it a chance- the worst thing that can happen is you dont like it and head home. If you dont give it a try then the visa is gone forever - there is no way you will get another- and you will never know if you could make a go of it or not!  Life is an adventure , is it not?

• Like 4

Wow SandraDee - was cutting it close!! lol :)