Finally Arrived - Part 1

Hope

Hi all, I arrived safely in Melbourne on the 29th March. I am sooooo happy! :D

Few things I noticed:

- Traffic lights and how people ACTUALLY crossed when the light is green.

- So many 7 Eleven's franchise, convenient shops reminds me of Spaza Shops *Jokes*

- My first meal, yes a Sushi Roll - not bad all things considered.

- Trams are GREAT!! If you take the right one.

- I stay temporarily at a hotel in Southbank. Rental here is really expensive

- Almost forgot that my MTN mobile doesn't work here... had to get Telstra, so far not complaining with the service.

- I had to open a bank account - NAB was first option - no fees attraction!!!

- I went on "Hop-on Hop-Off" Sightseeing bus just to get a feel of the City and St Kilda.

- People here generally talk about themselves, hahahaha

- Oh, apparently I don't have an accent. 4 different people confirmed this. The guy who handed me keys to my room was pleasantly surprised that I was from South Africa, Pretoria! He gave me a nickname "Blue Bulls". Hehehehehe. He said most people he met are Afrikaans speaking. I reassured him though that most people in South Africa would generally speak English as a First Language at school (well at least I did from Primary through to Tukkies). :)

- I like the architecture here, it tells a story hey.. across Queen Victoria Market ---> St Kilda beach ----> Melbourne Uni ---> Federation Square ----> Churches

So far, I'm trying to settle in as I take it "one day at a time" my mother said at O.R. Tambo airport, tearful. Starting work on Monday and I met the team at least.

All in all, thank you for the forum, it really helped. Will definitely recommend this website.

Cheers, Hope

p.s. that's another thing I learnt here... Cheers :D 

• Like 7

@Hope So glad that you are finding our city welcoming... hope the job goes well and the happiness in being here just gets better and better!