Finding affordable accommodation in Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne,

Pink

Hello Everyone 

I will be arriving in Melbourne on 04 May 2016.

With a month to go the panic is starting to set in as I have not been able to secure employment or accommodation as yet. 

I plan on settling in Mitcham as the school has confirmed acceptance of my kids. 

I have tried to secure a rental however I was unsuccessful as I have not secured employment as yet. Hotel accommodation is really steep and I don't have access to additional financial support.

Are there any cheap accommodation options that you can suggest. I am able to pay a weekly rental of $300-$350 

Awaiting your reply.

TIA

Pink

@PinkAll I can suggest is AirBNB, I did check Stayz.com.au but they are all over a $100 per night.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/s/Mitcham--Melbourne?guests=4&price_max=85&ss_id=11zdbokx&s_tag=MGjVsDEF

You will find it easier to get a rental, once you are here, as the agents are fairly unlikely to grant you a rental without meeting you and you seeing the property first. If you are able to show them your bank statement, or able to offer three months advance rental, then they may not worry too much about the fact that you do not have employment yet.

Thanks Mara

Do you know if ALL the Airbnb places are legitimate? I'm asking caus I checked and apparently you can't get their contact details till you pay.

Pink

Hello Pink, although we didn't use airbnb we know many people that have booked accommodation through them with no issues. I would suggest maybe booking a few weeks with them and in the meantime you can sort out your paperwork etc and check out some rentals. To secure the rental we wrote on the rental paperwork " just arrived from South Africa, can offer 3 months rental upfront" we got the first property we looked at no problem. Good luck :-)

Hi Pink

Apparently if there is any problem with an Airbnb place and you contact Airbnb they will find you alternative accommodation and remove the offending home owner from their database.  So should be ok.

Oh wow 

That's valuable info.  Sunnyskies. 

Glad to know there's some form of recourse if things go pear shaped. 

Thanks!

Edited by Pink

From the Airbnb terms and conditions:

Cancellations and Refunds

If, as a Guest, you wish to cancel a confirmed booking made via the Site, Application and Services, either prior to or after arriving at the Accommodation, the cancellation policy of the Host contained in the applicable Listing will apply to such cancellation. Our ability to refund the Accommodation Fees and other amounts charged to you will depend upon the terms of the applicable cancellation policy. Details regarding refunds and cancellation policies are available via the Site and Application. The Guest Fee is non-refundable regardless of the cancellation policy selected by the Host. Airbnb Payments will initiate any refunds due pursuant to the Payments Terms.

If a Host cancels a confirmed booking made via the Site, Services, and Application, (i) Airbnb Payments will refund the Total Fees for such booking to the applicable Guest pursuant to the Payments Terms and (ii) the Guest will receive an email or other communication from Airbnb containing alternative Listings and other related information. If the Guest requests a booking from one of the alternative Listings and the Host associated with such alternative Listing confirms the Guest's requested booking, then the Guest agrees to pay Airbnb the Total Fees relating to the confirmed booking for the Accommodation in the alternative Listing, in accordance with these Terms. If a Host cancelled a confirmed booking and you, as a Guest, have not received an email or other communication from Airbnb, please contact Airbnb.

If, as a Host, you cancel a confirmed booking, you agree that Airbnb may apply penalties or consequences to you or your Listing, including (i) publishing an automated review on your Listing indicating that a booking was cancelled, (ii) keeping the calendar for your Listing unavailable or blocked for the dates of the cancelled booking, or (iii) imposing a cancellation fee. You will be notified of the situations in which a cancellation fee applies before you decide to cancel.

In certain circumstances, Airbnb may decide, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary or desirable to cancel a confirmed booking made via the Site, Application and Services. This may be for reasons set forth in Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances policy or for any other reason. Airbnb may also determine, in its sole discretion, to refund to the Guest part or all of the amounts charged to the Guest in accordance with the Guest Refund Policy. You agree that Airbnb and the relevant Guest or Host will not have any liability for such cancellations or refunds.

Please make sure you read the terms and conditions on booking with Airbnb before you book.  Here is the link for the payment terms - https://www.airbnb.com/terms/payments_terms, and here is the link for the general terms and conditions - https://www.airbnb.com/terms

We used AirBnB twice. They are the middleman and only release your payment to the owner of the rental once you've booked in (and are then happy). You have a window in which to complain upon arrival so there is no gain for the owner to lie or to not exist. We found exactly what was advertised twice. Look through the comments of guests per unit. Should be OK.