Best tips for ielts tests

Flitz

Question

Hello

For those that have done ielts ,what is best tips for getting 7 points in each category ?

• Writing seems to be tripping me up a bit
  • Pretty strong with listening
  • Speaking is hard to judge  

8 answers to this question

Hi

I recently did my IELTS exam and preparation is key. Do the practice tests and take a deep breath when you are doing it. For the writing part, follow the instructions closely and make sure you structure the letter and essay correctly. There are a few websites that offer good advice. I wasnt asked to place a address in the letter section, so I didn't and I got good marks.

My opinion, write everything in pencil. Using a pen adds more stress as you are constantly worried about making a mistake that you cannot erase.

For the speaking, just think of it as a conversation. Try and not think about the fact that they are recording it. Relax and just think before you talk.

Good luck.

As mentioned above letter structure is paramount, likewise essay structure. 

Practice. It truly helps.  My tips for the day would be, learn to spider your ideas or at least jot them down before actually writing your piece. This will help you create a logical flow. Keep sentences short if possible. Spelling is important if I thought I was going to mangle a word,  I chose a different word or a different way to write the sentence. 

I did something like this for letter:

Introduce/identify myself in relation to topic

Why I am writing this letter x, y, z

Conclusion

- Structure, structure, structure The writing questions have very specific structures. The letters have specific layouts. The address is required. Think of each writing task as being built around a framework.

- Spelling counts. For reading and listening, it is an absolute. If the word is spelled wrong, the answer is wrong.

- Answer the question. If you are asked to answer in three words or less and you put down four, it is wrong. If you are asked to describe and you give your opinion, you will lose marks.

- Get the practice tests. Cannot emphasize this enough.

- When speaking, keep talking. If you run out of words on one topic, springboard into another topic. I was asked about special occasions - ended up talking about vintage clothing. The point is your ability to handle a basic conversation and follow the topic through, wherever it may lead.

Thanks! Needed this!!!

I have a degree in English and yet found the format of IELTS very frustrating. The key is definitely to do as much practice as possible.Practise all areas even if you think you are confident in it.  It is not a difficult exam but because they are so specific, you need to know how to answer in the way they are expecting. Good luck!