Week 3.5 just thought I would share

TashyL

Hi There,

Its been a while since I created a post, but gosh the last few weeks have been insanely busy! Not just busy though, insanely blessed too :)

We arrived in Sydney on the 24th and have basically also hit the ground running. We have family here so because she spread the word to friends that we were arriving they all offered to help in whatever way we needed.

We had a friend who offered transportation, and her assistance and advice, and so many little household items coming in from different places. We came with just our clothing, but so far the kids have a brand new bunk bed, we have drawers, a lounge suit and dining room table and chairs. Items which we really need now that we are just starting from scratch again. Oh what blessings all these people are.

We have jumped on the bus and gone on adventures and also got lost (GPS advised us to take the wrong bus). We took the train to the city on 2 occasions, one of which was a family trip to my interview ( they went to the museum whilst I went in :) ) and I was offered a job that same day!! Whoohooooo!!!!! We got our license done ( I am a P2 driver as I only have my license for 3 years in Dec) :(. We also managed to get our Tax numbers, bank cards sorted, and have purchased a 2nd hand car, not that I think we REALLY needed one. The bus system is SO easy ( ignore the getting lost) and there is air-conditioning too, on trains and buses!

We got busy with searching for rental and found it to be QUITE different to RSA, but we got the kids dressed up neatly and had behaviour speeches beforehand too. We applied for a few and the PERFECT place accepted our application. In this case we were able to get a private viewing and we offered rental 3 months in advance. They approved our application and also said we didn't need to pay in advance if we chose not to....how sweet!

So this week we get my daughter into school FINALLY, as we have secured rental, and on Wednesday I start my new job. Everything seems to be falling into place so nicely, and we are really excited for the new experiences we are going to have!

So the advice I can give to those who are applying, or preparing to leave....Accept help when you arrive here and are offered assistance, it is a blessing. Get the "business" end of things finalised and out of the way such as tax, license etc. Explore like its nobody's business, and ask the bus drivers you are unsure. Take one day at a time, its not that easy. And when you have a bad day ( I have had some already) cry if you cry, or find a release, talk to your partner or family at home, and if you pray, pray always. I feel anxious about this week ahead, not because I will be working but because for the 1st time in 2 months almost, I will be leaving my hubby and kids, and starting "life" all over again. I will however embrace this new journey and Thank God that I am able to be here.

Good Night......

• Like 10

Sounds a lot like our "landing", Tashy! We arrived in Sydney on 22 August last year and I started work on 1 September. In those 10 days we found a rental, bought furniture and got kids into schools - one hell of a job! But we did it! Now, coming up to the end of our first lease, feeling older and wiser and looking forward to moving into our next place with more experience and time to find the "RIGHT" area for our family! Loving life and exploring this amazing city! Where about are you staying and how old are your little ones?

• Like 1

We will be renting in Kellyville Ridge, and our kids are 10 and 3. Daycare here is a nightmare though, so that's my job for tomorrow. Where do you stay NickiD?

We're in Woollahra for now, @TashyL but looking to move to the other side of the bridge in August. The main reason we moved to Woollahra was school availability!!! Both boys will be school-going age next year, so no more daycare (YAY!) and so much easier with getting into schools! 

• 2 weeks later...

I see why you chose to be outside of the city for daycare...we got my son in at $92 per day.....holy moly!!!! With rebates it will be a little less bit goodness me that's a lot of money :blink:

My daughter is in school now, but school is.from 9-3 so we need before and after care and even that has a waiting list. Gosh.....at least for now my hubby is home with the kids, but this schooling situation in Sydney is quite complicated for working parents. I pray we get this all in order before my hubby starts work. 

What do people do in school holidays?

TashyL, thanks for your post...it helped to calm my nerves a little, you have accomplished so much in such a short time...congrats.

I'm feeling anxious about all that needs to be happen when we arrive, especially with three kids in tow. We are also basically just bringing our clothes and some sentimental items and linen with a MoveCube. We are fortunate to have good friends that will help us when we arrive, but still finding the process a little overwhelming. I am looking forward to the fresh start though.

All the best with the new job :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the post TashyL. Very reassuring for those of us still to land.

May I ask what line of work you are in? Finding work is our biggest worry I must say.

On 3/29/2016 at 5:59 PM, TashyL said:

What do people do in school holidays?

Many of the schools and recreational centres run 'school holiday programmes' - well they do in Melbourne. I would imagine Sydney is the same. You can claim back half of the cost.

Edited by Shellfish
  • Like 1

@JackoFam I am an IT Business Analyst. I have been in the industry for under 5 years so I was really concerned.

My husband on the other hand in IT support and he is taking a bit longer to find a role. The recruiters have advised that some Australian experience would be beneficial.....but how is he supposed to get Aus experience without an opportunity to get some Aus experience?

He is going for interviews and we will keep the faith, that whatever Job God has in store for him is just waiting.

In saying all that, because my hubby is home we are ok for this school holiday, BUT we have a back up plan.

My son is being enrolled into a family day care in our area, and this is similar to having a day mother, so he will be taken care of in a home and the "Mom" is in her late 50's and is absolutely lovely! My daughters school has a holiday care option which you have to apply for, They include incursions and excursion and a fun filled agenda for the 2 weeks.

The people I work with are lovely and I am in the heart of Sydney :) I have fallen in love with this city, it already feels like home. I take walks like I never did in RSA, my kids and husband take bike rides to fetch me at the bus stop in the afternoons. My daughter has made some friends, and we are just feeling SO blessed!

• Like 3

@JoleneW don't worry too much about all the things you need to get done.

Our TRN we applied for online and received in the post a week later, our drivers license completed at the service centre and we had it sorted within 2 weeks as well, our license was delivered in the post. We went to Centrelink and Medicare centre and had it all done within an hour. I have taken the kids along with me everywhere I went and because the waiting periods are not devastating, the experience is a lot more pleasant because there has not been much time for them to get too bored.

Its all going to be PERFECT! All the best for the last arrangements, and enjoy the last of RSA! Thank God the rand is looking a teeny bit better now that Zuma has "apologised"

7 hours ago, TashyL said:

My husband on the other hand in IT support and he is taking a bit longer to find a role. The recruiters have advised that some Australian experience would be beneficial.....but how is he supposed to get Aus experience without an opportunity to get some Aus experience?

I would recommend that he look for contract jobs, go in with a low hourly/daily rate.  Easy for them to let you go on contract so they are more likely to take the risk.  The previous company I worked for were looking for Systems Administrators if he knows Windows/VMWare/Citrix (not sure of the current status of this). I also know a "good recruiter" in this space.  Feel free let me know if you would like more info.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tiermelk said:

I would recommend that he look for contract jobs, go in with a low hourly/daily rate.  Easy for them to let you go on contract so they are more likely to take the risk.  The previous company I worked for were looking for Systems Administrators if he knows Windows/VMWare/Citrix (not sure of the current status of this). I also know a "good recruiter" in this space.  Feel free let me know if you would like more info.

Hi Tiermelk,

My hubby is currently looking at Contract and Perm roles and pretty much applying for every role he sees online. My husband does know  Windows/VMWare/Citrix. Please do share any information you can we would truly appreciate any assistance.