Temporary Accomodation in Melbourne (VIC)

MartineM

Hello,

Is it possible to rent an apartment temporarily until one finds permanent employment?

I have a job opportunity though, however, I am just concerned that if that doesn't materialize, would we be able to rent accommodation temporarily whilst looking OR do you need to be employed and provide a contract of employment should you wish to rent a house. We are planning ahead and should afford rent for at least 8 months whilst looking for employment. I am just worried that no agent/landlord is going to offer us accommodation if we are not employed and cannot provide proof of income. We are willing to pay the rent upfront if necessary but wondering if that will be too risky? Alternatively, we can arrange with the rental agency?

Hope to get some advice, please.

Martine Morilly

Hi Martine

Welcome to the forum. Now for an answer for you. It has been known, that if you are willing to show a bank statement and offer to pay, say three months rent in advance, that owners have been happy to rent to you. You did not say if it should be furnished or unfurnished.

I do know of a place, fairly close to the city, that has furnished apartments of different sizes and the longer you stay the cheaper it becomes. They charge a weekly rent rather than a nightly one. Check them out below:

http://www.bellcity.com.au/residences/

Good luck on your search.

• Like 1

Whether you will be able to rent without confirmed employment may depend to some extent on the property manager and owner so may vary.  Putting down a lump sum towards a period of time can sometimes assist.

It may depend upon how popular the area is and how easy it would be for the property manager to find someone else?

I know of a short term let (was $450/wk) granny/studio flat in Mordialloc - but is aimed at short term whilst you find you feet e.g. a few weeks.

• Like 1

We rented without employment by paying 6 months rent in advance - and we signed for only 6 months.  It can be done but will obviously depend on the owners.

• Like 1

Hello All,

Thank you Mara, TeeTMI and leeferg1, I really appreciate the response.

Have a great day!!

Martine Morilly