New to the process

Gerhardp14

Hi all, 

My wife and I are really interested in making the big move to Australia. 

I have been getting conflicting information regarding Visa's. We would like to go across on PR from the start, (if at all possible.) I have been employed internationally for the last 5 years on a 3 month on 3 week of rotation. Would this have a negative influence on our bid? The other option is a 457 Work sponsor Visa which I dont want to pursue based on the horror stories I have heard about this. This would also mean giving up my current employment which I dont really want to do as it provides a solid income. 

Any advice for a 30 something couple with 2 small children to get the ball rolling would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi @Gerhardp14, I would say you should get an assessment by one of the immigration agents, as your situation is unique...I can recommend Stephen Dickson, goes by the name of @SD_MOA on this forum, or there are plenty of them out there, just make sure they are MARA registered. 

If your occupation is on the SOL, then you should be able to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent, provided you can get enough points for English Language (IELTS test, or one of the others), get a positive assessment for your skills (be it a trade test, or a university degree, or a national diploma), and you can probably claim some years of work experience as well. Exactly where in your 30's you are also plays a role, as there is a 10 difference between 31 and 39 (If I'm not mistaken)

I'm not an agent, so go and check these things out for yourself as well, but it is a reasonable place to start looking.

The things that influence your 'bid' are how many points you get, how popular your occupation is, how early you submit an EOI, and whether you get a clean bill of health.

I have noticed recently, while talking to some of my friends that the Border Protection website does not make the information as easy to access as the previous website made it. So if you are unsure, contact a registered migration agent like @TeeTMI or @SD_MOA. You do not need to use migration services on an All-or-Nothing principle, many agents will offer initial assessments and advice on the route to take, or a full package, or even just checking your application before you submit it. Talk to them and find out what is available. ;) Good luck!

• Like 1

We came from the Middle East having been expats for 14 years. Stephen was absolutely brilliant and we had no trouble at all.

I do feel that if you have an unusual situation it is best to go with an agent. And would definitely go with the forum recommendations. Someone who has successfully been a part of this group for so long, with so many good reviews and ongoing recommendations can usually be fairly well trusted.

The hardest part of our application was possibly the form 80 which requires you to list every single international trip for 10 years - took 3 days, sitting with a spreadsheet matching entry and exit stamps in all the passports.