BineMelanie

Question

Hi everyone

We are busy arranging the last few things before we are off.

Do we need an international driving license, I know we can drive with our license and have ours converted over there, but would we need an international one for hiring a car or just a waste of time?

Do we take out medical insurance before we leave or only after we arrive? We are on a 489 visa.

What travel insurance did you use and with whom? We booked our tickets thru IOM and payed with EFT, thus not have the credit card travel insurance.

Cheers,

Melanie

6 answers to this question

Hi there BineMelanie,

I can't help about the rental car and what licence they require. 

I would not recommend going without medical insurance at any time. So if you've cancelled your South African medical aid I would suggest taking out medical insurance before you arrive.

My partner and I have planned to keep our Discovery medical aid running until the end of April (we're arriving in Adelaide early April) so that gives us a month to find a medical insurer on that side. So far from our on line research BUPA seems like the best choice for us. It's a just a plain straightforward hospital and ambulance cover, no dental, optometry and such. 

We aren't opting for travel insurance. 

• Like 1

Hi Melanie.

I guess time is beginning to speed up no end, now that the time to leave is approaching closer with each new day?

There is still time to get some things in order before you leave South Africa, and one of them is to get in touch with a health insurance fund here in Australia before you leave and arrange insurance when you are over here.

Ambulance travel is free in some states in Australia, but unfortunately, South Australia isn't one of them, so whatever cover you intend to get to cover your whole family, ambulance cover is strongly recommended.

"Hospital" cover is a basic, and you can opt also for "extras" cover which covers things like teeth, spectacles, physio, and so on.

The three main health insurance funds in South Australia are:

Hospital Contributions Fund, which I insure thro

http://www.hcf.com.au/healthinsurance/overseas-visitors-health-cover/

BUPA

http://www.bupa.com.au

and Health Partners

http://www.healthpartners.com.au

Don't bother getting International Driver's Licences because a South African driver's licence will do for driving around with for up to three months, after which time you'll be required to switch to a South Australian driver's licence, with photo ID.

If it's good enough to drive with a South African driver's licence in a private car, then it should be good enough with a hire car firm.

Thanks again Bob.

That's exactly what I wanted to know as I didn't want to arrive there and then realise I should have done something and didn't do it.

Regards,
Melanie

PS. The time is starting to fly by and it seems the list of things to be done just keeps getting longer!!!

Thanks Charne,

Good luck to you, please let us know how you are getting on once you have landed.

Regards,

Melanie

can definitely confirm that hired car companies are happy with your south african drivers licence.

• Like 1