Understanding the rent & bond in Melbourne

Hope

Hi...

My 457 Visa was approved on the 27th Feb. I will be in Melbourne on the 29th March with temporary accommodation for only two weeks (sponsored by Employer). So in my first week I will have to look for accommodation in Melbourne CBD and surroundings. I was looking at websites like Domain.com.au, Realestate.com.au and Gumtree. The rent in Oz is weekly (totally surprised)  and a month's worth of rent is payable (deposit I assume).  My question is if say rent is $300-$350 weekly has bond of $1290. What is this bond? Are you expected to pay rent + bond every month??

No, bond is a security payment that is held against damage to the property when you leave. It gets paid to a regulated entity so you can be certain of getting it back - although I have heard stories of landlords/agents going out of their way to make deductions.  It is critical when you get occupation that you examine the rental carefully and note everything of concern on the condition report.  

Monthly you will only pay the rent in advance - calculate by multiplying weekly rental by 52 and then dividing by 12.

@Sunnyskies thank you. I will note this when I book appointment for inspections. Rent in Melbourne is expensive, had a nice reality check then the confusion of bond PLUS rent.

1 hour ago, Sunnyskies said:

It is critical when you get occupation that you examine the rental carefully and note everything of concern on the condition report.  

I would just like to highlight this as with some agents it can be important as otherwise some (not all) may bill you for marks etc that were there before you arrived but not on this report.  Also consider taking photos of any key issues (I know some people do a video walk through). Hopefully you never need them but useful to have some back up. 

Also read the contract - you will generally be liable to get the carpets professionally cleaned on exit - but check the contract e.g. if you are in a high rise flat you don't want the expense of professionally cleaning the windows on exit.  

Thank you. Also is there other website links that comes with apartments with Wi-Fi?

• Like 1

@Hope I think you will only get an apartment coming with Wi-Fi in short term furnished or long term furnished rentals perhaps, highly unlikely in long term unfurnished rentals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I would just like to share my experience in the hope that it will help you.

We finally secured a rental in the north/central suburbs of Melbourne and guess what clinched the deal? 3 months (wait make that 12 weeks because that's how it's done here) rental in advance. Because of this, we were aproved for every place we applied for! We'll be moving into our apartment on Saturday :ilikeit:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Odendaal said:

We finally secured a rental in the north/central suburbs of Melbourne...

Aha! I'm sure I can reach you there for coffee. ;) 

On 03/03/2016 at 8:59 AM, Mara said:

@Hope I think you will only get an apartment coming with Wi-Fi in short term furnished or long term furnished rentals perhaps, highly unlikely in long term unfurnished rentals.

And even then, they are likely to be VERY expensive (think $5 / hr) not to mention SLOOOOooooow.

I used a "dongle" I got from Vodafone, but before that used my phone tethered. This was in Canberra. Overall it cost me about $20 / month extra at my usage rate - I didn't download 5 Linux distros per month or all seasons of Game of Thrones, though.