Caycee

Hi there,

We are busy with the immigration process to Aus at the moment and are hoping to be there by the end of the year. My son will turn 6 in January and so he will need to start Year 1 in 2017. I have found 5 Goldcoast private school that I am interested in and have set up meetings with them for when we visit Aus in April. I would just like some opinions or recommendations on the schools I have found. See below: 

Goldcoast Christian College

Hillcrest Christian College

Emmanuel College

AB Paterson

Somerset College.

Many thanks,

Caycee 

I would check out your budget first and make sure you can afford it. 

Go to www.peoplelikeu.com.au and fill in your profile as if you are already living there. It will tell you what people like u spend their cash on. 

Another thing to bear in mind is (at least here in new south wales)  the best schools are government schools. The matric in new south Wales is called the HSC. Public schools like North Sydney Boys high get the best marks. 

I used to catch a bus from Mosman (the richest suburb in Sydney) and there were a ton of school boys heading over to North Sydney Boys high. 

You have to get the required marks to get in to a top government school. That's why the user rich families in Mosman send their kids all the way to North Sydney. 

A private school takes anyone whose parents can afford it. 

Do you want your kids to be at the school where they have the latest Ipads or at the school where the kids get the top marks? 

Edited by monsta

Hi Caycee

Be like the Aussies and save your money for primary school (bank the funds and have it available for high school).  

My children go to private schools in Brisbane  (and previously in Melbourne) and we went the parish route when we moved over for their primary years.  My daughter went to a state primary school when we moved to Brisbane.  If I had to do it again I would do state school until the end of year 6 and save the $2500 I spent on each child per annum at parish school and the $$$ I spent on year 5 and 6 at private schools.  Most Aussies send their children to state or parish schools for  primary and only move to private for high school.  You will find that there aren't many children in the primary years in most private schools.

There are some threads on the schools you are interested in if you look in the search function.

Caycee, lots of South Africans in Emmanuel College(the Vice Principal is a Saffa), Kings College and St Stephen's. I did Religious Education in Coomera Rivers State School...what a wonderful school and Principal! Like Sunnyskies suggested, state school for Primary and private for High School. 

Thank you for the replies. We are obviously weary of state schools because there are very few good government schools left in SA. Will definitely look into some of the State schools in the Goldcoast that I saw on another thread. Am I correct in thinking that if you stay within the catchment area for a particular state school you will automatically be accepted? 

Yes, if you live in the catchment the school is obliged to accept your child.  If you look at the enrolment section of the school's website you will find a link to the catchment map for the school which is strictly applied if a school does not have a lot of spare spots.

When we moved to Brisbane and wanted to enrol my daughter I couldn't get her into my first choice because we lived literally 50m out of catchment, but I think that the school she went to was great and she says it was her best school year yet - so my reservations about not having her in the highest ranked school were unwarranted.  

Ps - if you give state schools a bash but are unhappy, getting your child into a private school in the primary years is generally not that hard.  But definitely put his name down at your chosen private school for year 7 asap.

we have just arrived in Dec. Our children have just started at A B Paterson and absolutely love it!! I cant recommend it enough. The support is amazing and each and every teacher has got hold of me and offered their support, has kept me up to date on my childs progress both academically and to help settle in.

we had also been accepted at Emmanuel and St Stephens.  I really liked St Stephens, they have wonderful facilities and lots of saffas. We were not too keen on the area that the school was situated in though. It seemed a bit rough.  Emmanuel college was way more religious, larger and felt a bit impersonal, my feeling only.  My children were at a smaller, more modern school back home so AB Paterson seemed like the perfect fit.  The areas around AB  are also a great place to live- lots of affordable and not so affordable areas nearby.  

I am not knocking state schools but every time I drive past one and see the long hair or scruffy uniforms I am glad I chose private. The school has strict rules about uniform, hair etc. The even have to carry their jacket and hat with them at all times!! A bit ridiculous I know.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My number one choice would be All Saints Anglican School, but they have a waiting list that is sooooo long.  There is a reason that it is the only school on the GC with such a long waiting list.  My youngest was the only one that managed to get into this school in year 10 and what a fantastic school !!!  If you want your son in an all boys school and he likes sport then TSS is a fantastic boys only school (kind of like a Michaelhouse) but it is expensive.  Kings Christian college is a wonderful school too, a lot of South African children and teachers, as is Hillcrest Christian Academy and St Stephens, I have many many friends whose children go to St Stephens and they absolutely love the school so do my teacher friends that work there.  Emmanuel is a gorgeous school, fantastic area, wonderful grounds, good ethos and lots of South African teachers and kids.  I volunteer at Emmanuel every Tuesday as I take my dog to the school for those children that are struggling to read get to read to my dog (its called Story dogs) and I have found everyone in the school to be so lovely and friendly.  AB Patterson I have had friends whose kids have been there and love the school, however, I have had three South African friends who are teachers leave there over the last 18 months and they did not enjoy the school. I had one at Somerset and we took him out of there as we did not enjoy the school at all.

Varsity College, Clover Hill and Merrimac State schools are all wonderful schools to look at, most of the state schools here are great for them when they are little.

Hope this doesn't confuse even more

We are landing in May 2016. We are looking at the Coomera Anglican College for my Daughter to start in July. She is going into Prep year. Any thoughts or experience on this school will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.