..3rd week in • * • . ❥

MelG

What a lovely post - thank you for sharing your journey with us. I hope you will be very happy in Australia in the years to come

• Like 1

thanX.  Ya it has been pretty seamless, especially with hubby landing first.  Despite having to start his job in a semi-new area and trying to hit the ground running, he'd sorted so much for us before we even got here.  

Drivers licence and medicare all sorted now.  It's very easy and efficient.  Not so say that SA is entirely inefficient in all these areas, aside from not having the best reputation on these fronts - these civil tasks seem much less! daunting here, basically.

We're also super lucky to have friends here that have pointed us in directions to save us time :)

It's hard to believe we are finally here.  I'm finding it hard to snap out of that limbo feeling, it's all I wanna do.  It's harder than I thought.  My daughter (14) is suffering from similar, sort of, though school and new friends help.  I need a job and fast!! ^_^ My hubby and son (11) on the other hand, pffft, they just carry on, no worries.   There's surf and sun here, what else does one need :PB)

╭დ

• Like 2

It is hard! And exciting, its a crazy ride. It took us 8 years from application to arrival. And I am still adjusting. 2 weeks in, feeling very foreign :P

• Like 2

Hahaha, Mel B - 2 weeks in.  Me 3 weeks in :D  You can see why my friend LoliBelle got confused ;) Xx

Best of luck !!  ╭დ

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, MelG said:

We got rid of loads, but honestly, we should’ve sold everything, and really only shipped a couple of boxes.  Basically one can get all of it here, and then some.  Mates told me this.  I didn’t listen :|    So now home is all packed up and waiting on sale to make funds available for shipping.   Hobbes & Calvin are in Kommetjie Cattery and are ready to come over 2Apr16.

Hi MelG

Great post, please could you mention which items you would not have bothered packing in retrospect?

Hiya,

We sold our fridge,freezer,w/machine,t/drier,d/washer.  We also had a big corner couch which we sold to save space - and gave away things like bookshelves, coffee tables, a couch, electric appliances, etc. to friends and family who had use for these things.  

We ended up packing beds, as they were quite new.   Cupboards of various sizes (x4) and then boxes and boxes of stuff like kitchen goods, linen.  And computer and tv.   And tools.  And some camping stuff.  We basically filled a container with all that.  

The big deal I was weighing up regards was that we shouldn't bother with selling stuff, since we'd hardly get any money back for it, and just pack it all so that we wouldn't have to spend on the other side.   The reality is: all these great things are in storage on the other side of the world, and we are making do here without them all, battling along in some respects because we don't want to go and buy new stuff when we already have it ...coming some time in the future...  simply prolonging that limbo feeling :(:(

Ya, so as I said in another post, I think it was to you :D (Congrats;) "..note to Captain's log: you can get everything you had, here.  like every thing!  right down to that sentimental hippie throw, i discovered :unsure: mates told me this, i didn't listen :(   bring only your treasures, save yourself the rest of the stress."  

Try to be ruthless, it's not easy, it's a heart-wrenching affair.   I would only have brought things I could live without, and be excited to get, like:

- a little cupboard that was sentimental

- special books/photo albums

- some of our pictures

- surfboards (maybe not even?)

- bikes (maybe not even?)

- some (probably most:) clothes & special linen

- special kitchen ware

~Xx

Edited by MelG