Restrictions on cats per household?

Rosa1035

Hi all, 

We are finalising bringing our 4 kitties over to Adelaide with us at the end of the year, and thought that before we commit to bringing them all over, that we should check on any potential restrictions. I understand that there might be quite a few rentals that won't be pet friendly, but are there any by-laws that state the maximum amount of pets we can have to a household? Would we be required to get any additional permits from a local municipality?

Many thanks for any advice!

Ros

I have found a link for you for Adelaide City Council, it appears that only dogs are registered, not cats. Perhaps someone from Adelaide will answer you.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/city-living/home-property-management/animals-pests/pet-registration

With regard to rentals, yes, it will make it much more difficult. If you are selling in RSA, or renting, get your agent to give you a letter to say that your house was clean and did not smell of the cats. That is what I did. Then when you apply for a rental here, tell them that you are happy to have a clause added to your rental contract stating that you will be responsible for any damage that your cats do and that you will have all the carpets cleaned professionally when you vacate the premises. Worked for me in everyone of the three times I rented in Australia.

• Like 1

I'm in Adelaide and there is no restriction on number of cats.  It is expected that you keep them in at night so they don't go hunting as much (protects the native wild life).  You will have a possible problem with getting a rental though - particularly with 4 of them.

Summary: 

NO restriction by councils.

Possible restriction by landlord if you have to rent

Own home = no problem

• Like 1

Ros,

no by-laws are in place for cats, as far as I know, in South Australia.

It is expected that you'll keep them indoors, as cats are nocturnal predators and clean up birds and wildlife.

Dogs attract a yearly registration fee, the amount depending on whether they are spayed, or not. The local district councils collect the fees.

• Like 1

Where we are in Victoria, you are allowed two cats and two dogs and you cannot swop. So, because we have 3 cats, I had to apply for an "excess" animal permit, requiring the signatures of all three neighbors (either side and behind) giving their approval and experienced a house inspection from the council (to be fair, he looked quite sheepish and was happy that the house was standing and I was sober at 10am).

• Like 1

I find it interesting how the laws differ from place to place.  We did not initially arrive with any pets in Australia, but moved intrastate from Brisbane to Mt Isa (not by choice) after buying and registering a dog in Brisbane. I made sure to get our dog registered, etc. before settling in properly :rolleyes:

Brisbane does not require cats to be registered with council but they must be microchipped. Where we live now in Mt Isa, both cats and dogs must be registered and microchipped (certain criteria applies).  There is a restriction on the amount of dogs (2) you can keep on a property in town but no info on the amount of cats (I guess a quick phone call could solve that).

Edited by cmh

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I think it might be prudent to stagger the arrival of the cats (the animals went in two by two, hurrah, hurrah..... :rolleyes:), if I can find someone here who would be willing to keep them until we are properly settled. I have already priced boarding in Adelaide and it's very expensive compared to here. And Mara thank you, good advice about the letter and adding the claws ;)

Ros 

Edited by Mara
Loved the claws - instead of clause! Good one!

@Rosa1035 Loved the claws - instead of clause - good one. The thing is in Victora, and I think perhaps all over Australia, rental homes must have window coverings, so if you have climbing cats they can also do a lot of damage to those.

• 4 weeks later...

That is why op shops were invented ?.   The net curtains have had to be replaced due to fly hunting but since they were rotted from the sun when i moved in wasnt too perturbed.  Quick visit to op shop and back in business.