choice of moving company

HappyCatz

Question

some advice please - i have a choice between using sevenseas or bayleys. 

seven seas offer me a large cube ( i will need two) - one large cube is almost R18 000 but because i live 4 and a half hours drive from their depot in johannesburg I will have to get my furniture to the depot by myself

and then they deliver in Brisbane , i live in Kuranda, in far north queensland. closer to cairns. so i have to consider moving trucks on both sides and I have no idea what that will cost me.

then Bayleys had sent me a quote for R50 000, 

i am tempted to use Bayleys because I am scared that after all the hard work of packing self and moving self and paying for the trucks it will be more or less the same as Bayleys

Off course i want to safe a bit of money, i mean every little helps. What would you guys have done? I cannot find any new testimonials re Bayleys but i think their quote is not too bad at all. 

any advice please?

4 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, HappyCatz said:

some advice please - i have a choice between using sevenseas or bayleys. 

seven seas offer me a large cube ( i will need two) - one large cube is almost R18 000 but because i live 4 and a half hours drive from their depot in johannesburg I will have to get my furniture to the depot by myself

and then they deliver in Brisbane , i live in Kuranda, in far north queensland. closer to cairns. so i have to consider moving trucks on both sides and I have no idea what that will cost me.

then Bayleys had sent me a quote for R50 000, 

i am tempted to use Bayleys because I am scared that after all the hard work of packing self and moving self and paying for the trucks it will be more or less the same as Bayleys

Off course i want to safe a bit of money, i mean every little helps. What would you guys have done? I cannot find any new testimonials re Bayleys but i think their quote is not too bad at all. 

any advice please?

No experience with Bayleys but I have  had a great experience with Seven Seas. 

I've heard good things about Bayleys and would have used them if they had operated in Cape Town. I would check who they use on the Australian leg and if they use Conroy Removals, don't touch them with a barge pole!

We had a good experience with Seven Seas, shipped a large move cube in Dec and it arrived this morning, we were close to JHB so they dropped the move cube off and helped pack it (for additional cost) and then took it the same day.

hello to all,

this topic plays heavily on my mind.   I had one quote from Magna-Thomson.  My belongings are considered to be Groupage:  My concern with them is that they don't fumigate individual crates (which means no fumigation certificate) and  their "detailed" description per box means your name, box no. # , glassware for example or Games.  My understanding is that the Australian authorities required a detailed inventory per box with your name and box no. # of # .    Detailed to me means listing each and every item that goes into a box, if each item is of a different type, i.e.  2 DVD, 1 pr shoes, 6 shirts etc.   or am I wrong ?

Got 4 quotes for 2 different Aus cities with and without a dining room suite:

GROUPAGE IS SUBJECT TO CARGO AVAILABILITY; CARGO CANNOT BE SHIPPED UNTIL THE
CONTAINER IS FULL.
¨ NO MONTHLY STORAGE WILL BE CHARGED, UNITL WE HAVE ENOUGH GROUPAGE CARGO TO
SEND A FULL CONTAINER.

4 prices range from 30,287.00 ZAR to 40,468.00 ZAR

QUOTATION IS SUBJECT TO CURRENCY FLUCTUATION AT TIME OF
SHIPPING.
¨ QUOTATION IS VALID FOR 28 DAYS.
¨ QUARANTINE FEES ARE PAYABLE IN AUSTRALIA IF REQUIRED BY AQIS
AT A MINIMUM OF AU$165, TO A MAXIMUM OF AU$ 440 PER GROUPAGE
CONSIGNMENT.
THE PRICE INCLUDES: THE PRICE EXCLUDES:
• Full export packing at residence.
• Transport to Port.
• Cargo Dues.
• Export documentation and freight to destination.
• Customs clearance at destination.
• One direct delivery to residence up to the 1st Floor.
• Complete unpacking service.
• Removal of debris on day of delivery.
• Duties, taxes, demurrage, customs examinations and/or
other extraneous third party charges.
• Marine Insurance.
• Storage and warehouse handling.
• Assembling of modular furniture.

Intend getting in more quotes.   Am doing this alone, and it's overwhelming at times.

would welcome any thoughts you would share with me?