Finally decided to start the journey :)

sjblom1983

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for accepting my registration :)

Well, I've finally managed to convince my wife that it's time to pack up and leave, although it's not that simple.

We are currently residing in Johannesburg, and are planning to settle in Perth, seeing that both of us have family members there, I think it would be easier having family around at the beginning. :)

Well, this is me in short, hope to find the answers to my questions.

Thank you, and regards.

Edited by sjblom1983
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum, hope your many questions will get answered here. Before you make the big decision of heading for Perth, because you have family there, you need to check what the employment situation, in your job field, is like in Perth. My mantra is always to go where the jobs are! You can live without family but can you live without a job?

• Like 3

HI Mara,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Yeah, I know. You have to settle where there's work, otherwise there's no need to even migrate.

Maybe you can shed some light on where to find more information on what the current employment situation is like for Perth.

I'm a software developer/programmer, with more than 10 years experience, primarily in the financial industry, currently working at an Investment bank.

Kind Regards

@sjblom1983 No problem, but you may want to chat to @SurferMan as he is in IT as a contractor and has just moved to Brisbane after many years in Perth, due to lack of work. If you click on the little envelope top right of the screen, you can send him a personal message.

My guess is that the majority of work will be in either Sydney or Melbourne.

You can perhaps have a look on a popular job website to see how the different cities compare for vacancies in your field:

http://www.seek.com.au/

Remember to change around your job titles, as they are not always the same in RSA and AUS.

As you have banking experience in software development, have you thought of checking out the various banks, google them, then go to their websites, you will find that they have a section somewhere for jobs at each particular bank... could be that you land a job before you even arrive.... you just never know!

• Like 2

Thanks Mara,

@sjblom1983 you will have a very hard time getting work in that line in Perth for two reasons. One, the market has totally tanked in IT. Two, and the bigger reason, all financial services are run out of the east coast, so think Sydney/Melbourne etc.

You will need to tease out which systems you focused your development on and as Mara says, you will need to adjust your terminology to match.

Best wishes!

• Like 2

Thanks Surferman...appreciated.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mara said:

My mantra is always to go where the jobs are! 

This is absolutely the first commandment of emigration. :D 

• Like 3

@sjblom1983

Please mate, if you are okay and again to Mara's advice...I am MOST happy to take a look at your CV and give you Aussie inputs. You will find I may be able to assist your hunt quite a bit, based on the experiences I have had in the >5 years in IT.

But seriously, unless you are totally lucky, no chance of work in Perth mate. Focus on Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide in that order.

PM me and I will send you a link to my LinkedIn account. Your LinkedIn account profile and CV MUST ABSOLUTELY match 1:1. Any variation raises suspicion.

Cheers

Surferman

• Like 2