Opening bank account

goodmorning

Greetings.

This question has been bugging my mind and please I need clarity. We intend to open our bank accounts while still in SA (online) so that we can start transferring rands to AUD. I understand that the accounts will only become active once we walk into the bank in Oz and complete the identification process. 

My question is about the TFN (tax file number). I read that I can only apply for the TFN when I get to Oz. So if I open a bank account now online while still in SA, wont I be charged highly since I will not be able to supply the bank with my TFN untill I get it in Oz?

Also, what is the best way to transfer funds to Oz if one is banking with, say, Fnb?

Please help

You are a non resident for tax purposes and will be taxed at the non resident rate, not the "unprovided tax number" rate.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/PAYG-withholding/In-detail/Foreign-resident/Withholding-from-interest-paid-to-foreign-residents/

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know it is also possible to claim back the additional tax paid for 'growing' money in a savings account, when you finally do provide them with a TFN. I suppose there is a time limit within which to do this, but I don't know how long it is or if it links up with their financial year end.