Aussie pharmacy prescriptions

EmNew

Hi, 

Strange question - don't Aussie pharmacies dispense only what the Dr prescribes?

I had a prescription filled today, and had to pay for full packaged drugs ( and expensive ones at that ) that had 4 x the quantity I was prescribed. In RSA they always dispensed the exact quantity prescribed - opened packaging and put the right number of pills into a bottle . Is what happened to me today normal in Australia? Just seems a waste of both my money and drugs considering I will have dispose of all not taken.

This sounds peculiar... I'll keep an eye on the answers you get.

If what you were prescribed was not on the PBS you will have to pay for it.   Not sure why you had to pay for the full package but presumably because not on PBS. Usually the pharmacist tells you and gives you the option of the PBS version (ie generic) but if the generic doesn't work for you then you have little choice.  This to me is a major drawback of Medicare, because you can't opt for your private health cover to pick up the cost.  (At least as far as I can work it out).

Pbs?  That's that thing I have only heard about that pays for your medicines :P

Pharmacists are sharks here.  At one of my previous jobs they installed a few million dollars worth of equipment into a pharmaceutical supply company.  It was to shorten the time between the pharmacist placing an order and the pills arriving at the pharmacies. 

What was happening was pharmacists would only keep the bare minimum stock.  So,  when they ran out each day,  they placed orders with three different suppliers.  They only pay the supplier who gets the pills their 1st. The rest of the orders they just cancel.  So the driver would be stuck in traffic for 20 mins to get to a pharmacy,  only to get there and be told,  "didn't you get the message?   our other supplier beat you here...  We don't need those two boxes of pills any more"  

So,  when your local Aussie pharmacy doesn't have stocks.. Just frown at them and ask them to have it ready for you tomorrow. 

When I have to go to the dentist, I have to take 4 x antibiotic pills, however the pack holds 20. They will only dispense the pack, they are not allowed to break it. So I am supplied with 5 times the quantity that I need. I keep them for the next time I need them, as the use by date is usually far in advance.

With regard to the high cost, it is around $38 per prescription that you usually pay for items on the PBS, if not, you have to pay the full price of the prescription.

@monsta the reason for the chemist not keeping more than, say 2 to 4 of each item is due the absolutely huge variety of dispensing stock that they have to keep - and their stock value is controlled by their insurance cover.... I know this, because when I go away on holiday I have to advise my chemist ahead of time, so that they can get the stocks of my medications in for me. The stocks that are only rarely dispensed it may even be that they only have 1 of them. I have a friend who is a dispensing chemist and he told me how it works.

@Sunnyskies you are right, if you are on PR and covered by Medicare there is absolutely no private health fund that will cover your prescriptions in any way. You can only get them to cover you if you are on a 457 or related type of visa or on a visitor's visa for which you took out temporary travel insurance in Australia.

Wow. That is one area that South Africa has better service. I have never had to wait for a prescription from our local independent pharmacy here in South Africa

Thanks for the feedback - at least I now know how the system works. Just another new "normal" to get used to - just had to make sure it WAS actually normal :)

I think a person is still better off with Medicare's system. As, even if one of your prescriptions actually costs around $300 per box you will only pay the $38. Of course this is if it is on the PBS. When a doctor gives you a prescription,  ask if the medication is on the PBS, if they say no, then ask if there is an alternative that is on the PBS, that you can take instead.

Edited by Mara