Packing over the counter medicines

JoleneW

Hi

Something that has been concerning me, especially after watching way too many episodes of "Border Security" is taking into Aus OTC medication.

I have heard for prescription meds you need a prescription from you Dr etc etc, but what about the general stuff we use often?

As I am a migraine sufferer and I use Adcodol (which contains coediene) fairly often, would this be something that would be allowed in, as I am concerned I won't find something similar in Aus and this is the only thing that seems to work for me?

Also what about things for the kids, eg. Neurofen Junior, Valoid, Rescue Tablets, etc?

Would this be acceptable to carry in your hand luggage on the plane?

Thanks

I was wondering the same before we left SA, and decided that I would pack my usual headache pills. So I packed some in the container, and brought a little with me. I had no issues.

As it's not large quantities, you will be fine. 

• Like 1

Hi JoleneW

I too was sooo worried about medication.

We declared our meds on the incoming passenger card, the immigration official asked about our declaration, I explained what they were and were waved through.

We did have a doctor's prescription for them though, just in case.

And meds were in original packages.

Good luck with your packing! 

Hi

My wife did the same with her prescription medicine when we went over last year for a holiday. We had a prescription and a letter from her doctor as she had some schedule 1 medication. (think that is what it is called).

We didnt have any problems and were waved through. The important thing is to take a prescription or letter and be honest with them. DO NOT TRY AND HIDE ANYTHING.

Came in with some tramacet since I had dental surgery the day before flying. Declared it and they didn't even ask for a prescription.

I am pretty sure that as long as you declare it and it is not something blatantly dodgy you should be good.

We came in with quite a lot in the way of meds - again, everything in original packaging, prescriptions to hand for anything not over the counter, ticked the medications box on the landing card, were asked if it was for personal use and waved through - nobody cared. I felt quite let down......

What I do usually do is make sure any items which may be suspect are easily accessible, so we don't waste time unpacking all the bags to find one thing.

One thing - over-the-counter in country X isn't the same as over-the-counter in country Y.

I know my dad used to get Tylenol for geriatric old farts with knee problems from my aunt in Canada and was unable to get the same sort of thing in SA. In general declare everything and let them decide.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

The migraine thing and the Adcodols, sounds just like me, so glad to here I can take some with. 

Does anyone have recommendations for what to get in Australia that is similar to Adcodols? 

Also, when you have your prescriptions and medical record with you, will a doctor just prescribe your meds to you again? 

Thanks a lot 

medication is expensive here and is not covered by your medical aid. Try and bring as much as you can. If the pharmacy can script the over the counter stuff then just bring that prescription with you. If you are packing it in your container keep a list of exactly what you have packed.  I was asked to fill out a form showing exactly what meds were packed in my container and quantities. I had to make a wild guess but they do like exacts.  if you have open boxes or some used make a note of that too.  If you bring i.t with you then its easy to declare

eg tylenol  2 x 30 tablets

immodium 60 tabs  etc