really that difficult to get into Aus?

MarcoB

Question

Hi guys i am new here so dont know if i shoulve intoduced myself first? we want to start the process of migrating to Aus but seems impossible, all my research and migrate agents keeps on telling me that i need a dioma and several years work experience after diploma so that will set me back by another 5-6 years?is this the only way without a sponsership or job offer in Aus?

8 answers to this question

Hi Marco

What profession are you in? Depending on the profession and the number of years you have worked in it, you MAY be able to do a RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning).

Hi FingersCrossed,

I'm currently a Mechanical/Structural design engineering draftsman.

I do have 8 executive years experience in the above mentioned, mainly in the mining industry.

Many Thanks

Marco

MarcoB there is a good chance you could get into Aus just based on your experience and qualifications. But you would need to go through the process to make sure your skills are assessed by the correct authority.

Also make sure that the agents that you talk to actually know what they are talking about. We only recommend using agents that are registered in Australia, with MARA, having a registration number MARN. So just check the people you spoke with, or try someone else. (If you look for it, I'm sure there is a thread on this forum discussing agents and companies)

- Best Luck!

• Like 1

I second Redpanda's advice. When we first thought about moving to Oz we contacted a few agents online. My husband is a Solicitor and the agents could not give any advice regarding whether he was eligible or not. In fact some even tried to dissuade him from even applying saying it would be too difficult. It was only through finding this forum that we discovered that it was possible. Stephen a migration agent on this site was able to point my husband in the right direction and thereafter started the long process of requalification. So yes getting the right information is critical.

Ironically now he is working in Australia, his firm will be sending him on an immigration course. ?

Edited by Guest

You know @emmayenkanna,

That was precisely my experience with agents in SA when I started sniffing around. First thing they would say is it's very complex and legalise to try and attempt the application yourself. One idiot went as far as to say you are legally bound to use an agent! I am glad there are top notch, ethical agents on this forum.

It is totally doable to apply in your own capacity. This forum is a gold mine of advice and experience.

• Like 2

Hi MarcoB.  I am new to this whole thing so not sure whether my comments are correct but have you perhaps considered whether an assessment as an Engineering Manager via AIM would be an option for you? My understanding is that they don't require a qualification per se but instead they assess you based on executive / senior management experience.  Just a suggestion...

On 10/02/2016 at 6:20 AM, MarcoB said:

Hi FingersCrossed,

I'm currently a Mechanical/Structural design engineering draftsman.

I do have 8 executive years experience in the above mentioned, mainly in the mining industry.

Many Thanks

Marco

Hi Marco, drop Stephen Dickson from Migration Outcomes @SD_MOAon this forum an email.

While I am sure there are hundreds of agents out there who can submit and file papers, he really knows his stuff and can be a huge help for more complicated, less clear cut cases where you really need an expert.

Edited by Mara