There’s NO WAY I was born to just pay bills & die.

roos

I know that there’s a place for me somewhere out there…

Migrating to Australia will be the single most selfish thing I have done in my 25 years of life.  I am a real people pleaser, always making decisions based on how others would feel about it.   This time around I want to think about myself, what I want and what I need.  I know that I will miss my parents and sisters a lot but knowing myself it will get better with time.  For my parents though I cannot say the same.   Will that change my mind? NO!

This is my first post on the forum and I hope to be as helpful and inspiring as most of the other users.

• Like 7

Go get 'em! Good luck with the application and just shout when you need help! The ride can be quite bumpy but we will all be here to help you and each other along.

Welcome Roos, you will quickly discover that you have just gained a new family on this side, together with those still heading this way!

Welcome @roos

You will find many friends here. it is NOT a selfish thing to do, it's called looking after number 1. In the case of South Africa that usually means Zooma783 LOL but you have made a fine decision and I am sure you will love Aus!.

• Like 1

I have convinced myself that when things get really bad in Southern Africa, atleast I would be able to support my mum from Oz. Who knows, maybe even see about moving her there for a better life. I think by doing this we are creating more options not just for ourselves, but also our parents and siblings... Imagine how far the 300AUD you will send, converted to ZAR or BWP can take someone!?

• Like 1

“Lose your dream, you lose your mind.” – Rolling Stones

I already feel at home with all the replies… Thank you so much!

Once the decision is made and the process is on its way the things you dislike about SA really gets magnified and makes me extra crazy (referring to you very dirty street I live in where no one picks up the garbage which the dogs tore open because the garbage truck did not come)!

Which brings me to my 1st question for the lucky ones… does the garbage truck come when it’s supposed to or do they also come Sunday nights at 8?

Hi Roos.

Welcome to this wonderful forum. I relate to your feelings of selfishness. I am also a people pleaser and my life has gone along the usual/conventional path for 41 years and now my husband and I are veering off onto our own path and its scary and exciting all at the same time.

I wish you luck with you move - you will get great advice and support right here.

Just a quick question - Have you told your family of your decision?

Hi JackoFam,

I totally agree with the "scary and exciting all at the same time"!

Yes, my husband & I told the family and I think they took it rather well and they understand the reasons. Being this young and able to make a change is a real blessing...

Good luck on your last few steps I see your almost at the finish line!

• Like 4

I am glad your family took it well. So did ours, we have their blessing - well except from my brother-in-law who wants us to move to the UK to be near to them.

19 hours ago, roos said:

Which brings me to my 1st question for the lucky ones… does the garbage truck come when it’s supposed to or do they also come Sunday nights at 8?

Not sure if you are serious, but to answer your question ours arrives at 5am in the allocated day, even on Christmas. In Queensland you have two trucks that come past one for general waste and one for greens/recycling (people in Melbourne get 3 trucks each collection day as greens and recycling are both collected every week).

Don't be late they don't waite, don't mix up your garbage you will be warned, don't put hard collection items in general waste it will be removed and left behind. Don't overfill your bin if it is too heavy they won't collect (as we found out when we put the mangoes that fell off the tree in our garden in the bin and the bin weighed more than 70kg).  Also, kitchen scraps don't go in the green bin  (it is for garden waste).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunnyskies said:

Not sure if you are serious, but to answer your question ours arrives at 5am in the allocated day, even on Christmas. In Queensland you have two trucks that come past one for general waste and one for greens/recycling (people in Melbourne get 3 trucks each collection day as greens and recycling are both collected every week).

Don't be late they don't waite, don't mix up your garbage you will be warned, don't put hard collection items in general waste it will be removed and left behind. Don't overfill your bin if it is too heavy they won't collect (as we found out when we put the mangoes that fell off the tree in our garden in the bin and the bin weighed more than 70kg).  Also, kitchen scraps don't go in the green bin  (it is for garden waste).

AND just to add to the confusion: every council in every city is ever so slightly different.  My advice:  Just copy the neighbours (and ask them too).

• Like 1

Thanks Sunnyskies and RYLC!

This is something I am really looking forward to because it is one of the many frustrations we have at the moment. 

Where we are there is no collection  -  once a week I load up the bins in the boot and take to the tip.   My wife has serious dyslexia when it comes to what to put in which bin.....I wrote on the lid with Tippex what should go in the recycle bin - but its still hit and miss  :huh:

23 hours ago, Sunnyskies said:

Don't be late they don't waite, don't mix up your garbage you will be warned, don't put hard collection items in general waste it will be removed and left behind.

As @Sunnyskies said above - they have a camera system build-in that detects foreign objects. You'll end up with this big notice stuck to your bin. Dont know if its true but apparently after xx warnings they may refuse to take your garbage. Not sure if you can refuse your rates....someone will be on short end of the stick and its not them!