Qualification Assessment Required for Work?

GenDemo

Question

The Question: Do I need to get my skills assessed to be able to apply for work in Australia? I studied Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics post-grad. My current occupation is a Statistical/Credit Analyst.

My wife and I already have permanent residence visa (189). For this process, we had to get her qualifications assessed. However, I am now looking to get my qualifications assessed - it costs and astounding $810 ! Hence my question - is it really necessary to have my qualifications assessed?

And just for information, my assessing authority is Vetassess.

Edited by GenDemo

5 answers to this question

There are two schools of thought here.  Some people say it's best not to make a big deal out of being a migrant. Saying you had your qualifications converted is doing just that. You want to convince employers that you fit in and see yourself as just another Aussie.

Another thought is recruiters will reject you if they think you are overseas. They do skim read CVs or run them through software that will reject you if you don't have the right to work in Aussie. 

I guess,  ask yourself this question.  If you were the employer would you rather want an employee who fits in well or one who you know for sure has a legitimate qualification?  

Its hard on CVs because you can't be all things to all people. 

I took the risk and it paid off - no need to do it.

• Like 1

You did not say what you do, but if it is something which requires registration of any kind,  then the answer is yes. For instance, most artisans, engineers, accountants, teachers, etc.

Thnx Mara...I updated my question.

3 minutes ago, Mara said:

You did not say what you do, but if it is something which requires registration of any kind,  then the answer is yes. For instance, most artisans, engineers, accountants, teachers, etc.

I honestly do not know if you would need registration for that, perhaps google it and see what comes up. Sorrymi cannot be of any further help.