Creating traditions

DXB2OZ

Perhaps it is a particularly Capetonian thing, but one of the things I always missed most about Cape Town were our regular outings - those things we did every year - Shakespeare at Maynardville, Summer concerts at Kirstenbosch, Carols by Candlelight at Kirstenbosch.

We are exploring around, but know very little about the regular events and festivals. Having just experienced my second year of Shakespeare at the Melbourne Botanical Gardens, that is definitely going to be one of our things (Monty Python meets William Shakespeare, absolutely brilliant) and we have discovered that the Stonnington Council puts on a series of FREE concerts in various parks during the month of February (Opera, Broadway Classics and Symphony under the stars).

What concerts/festivals/parades/events has everyone else discovered in their new home towns? Would love to hear other suggestions and experiences.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! Just subscribe to my local city website:  WeekendNotes, to notify me of free events, concert etc. 

I was browsing around yesterday and discovered that Melbourne has an official City App for smartphones, that tells you what's going on where in the city. I'll see how well it performs once we're there. (and give feedback, of course)