Building and Construction - where to start?

HansaPlease

:blink: Hi guys,

Just thought I'd put my feelers out for anyone that knows anything on the subject...

I'm in Melbourne, and am seriously considering a career move into building and construction, probably residential. (Currently in Commercial Real Estate). From what I've seen, it seems that the construction industry is mostly about who you know in the industry. Having not been in Aus for long, I obviously don't know many people in the industry.

Does anybody have any knowledge of entering the building industry at a mature age. (by mature I mean I'm 28 - too old to be an apprentice as such). Ideally what I would like to do is to get a labouring / trade assistant type job where I can start at the bottom, work hard, but learn on the job and study part time (after hours if neccesary) yet still work full time and not have to earn apprentice wages. It seems to me that only qualified jobs are available on the major job sites (seek, mycareer, etc) and there aren't any "skivvy" jobs... I'm guessing that there are building recruitment companies that hire labourers / mates, but you have to know where to look.

I guess the biggest problem is finding somebody to employ you without experience and convincing them that you're prepared to work really hard and get your hands dirty. I'm the kind of person who is very keen to learn and always looking to better myself, (also doing a business degree part time through UNISA) but at the same time, happy enough to begin at the beginning.

I did actually spend 1.5 years working as an electricians mate / labourer on a huge job in London, where I learnt a bit, but that was in 1999 - too long ago to be considered current information.

Long story short - does anybody have any stories to share? Any experiences or tips on how to crack into the industry? Any opinion? Want to tell me I'm crazy? Thanks guys!

Edited by HansaPlease

Sorry, just a bump to make sure it's spotted.... :ph34r:

Hi Hansa

Cant go wrong with construction.

As far as I know you will need a builders license. I have heard to get a builders license you need to go to TAFE.(Diploma in Building and Construction)

I know that many mature age students do this course and work as Labourers on site in their off time.

Hi Hansa

Cant go wrong with construction.

As far as I know you will need a builders license. I have heard to get a builders license you need to go to TAFE.(Diploma in Building and Construction)

I know that many mature age students do this course and work as Labourers on site in their off time.

Hi Queensland Girl, thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

Yep, I've just spoken to Tafe this morning about a few options and they are sending me some course info. The impression I got was that you had to be in the industry to do the builders license... but what you said about studying and working as a labourer part time - that would be exactly what I'd try to do...

Now for the seach... :whome: