EXPAT PARENTS OFFERING INFORMAL DAY CARE IN SYDNEY / CANBERRA

Merton

Hi Everyone, 

I am newly pregnant and am busy researching childcare options in both Canberra, ACT and Sydney, NSW as I'm not yet sure where I will be living when baby arrives in September 2016. If all goes according to plan, I will be living in Sydney when I need to return to work in mid January 2017. If things don't go according to plan, I will be returning to work in Canberra in mid January 2017.

I will be a single mother with no family around, and I simply will not be able to afford formal, full time childcare for my baby when I return to work full time, even with the Government rebate! I earn slightly more than the average person in Australia, yet have no idea how other single parents manage financially, especially when there is more than one child!! With the Liberals in power, it looks likely that things are about to get a LOT worse for low income families, so I'm bracing myself for a white-knuckle ride. 

Are there any other single mums/dads, or stay at home mums/dads on this forum who may be prepared to informally care for my infant for a reasonable fee? I want to start connecting with other parents from South Africa who may be in a similar predicament with a view to perhaps working together and building a bit of an informal army of helpers.  

I'd suggest investigating the cost of an au pair...also consider bringing your mom or mother in law over on a long stay visitor visa for a year?

• Like 1

An Au Pair costs about $250/week, which works out to be roughly the same cost as family day care once you've included food and board. Unfortunately I don't have relatives who are in a position to come over on a long stay visitors visa either! Au Pairs are also not recommended for newborns. 

Edited by Merton

14 hours ago, Merton said:

Hi Everyone, 

I am newly pregnant and am busy researching childcare options in both Canberra, ACT and Sydney, NSW as I'm not yet sure where I will be living when baby arrives in September 2016. If all goes according to plan, I will be living in Sydney when I need to return to work in mid January 2017. If things don't go according to plan, I will be returning to work in Canberra in mid January 2017.

I will be a single mother with no family around, and I simply will not be able to afford formal, full time childcare for my baby when I return to work full time, even with the Government rebate! I earn slightly more than the average person in Australia, yet have no idea how other single parents manage financially, especially when there is more than one child!! With the Liberals in power, it looks likely that things are about to get a LOT worse for low income families, so I'm bracing myself for a white-knuckle ride. 

Are there any other single mums/dads, or stay at home mums/dads on this forum who may be prepared to informally care for my infant for a reasonable fee? I want to start connecting with other parents from South Africa who may be in a similar predicament with a view to perhaps working together and building a bit of an informal army of helpers.  

Hi Merton,

I feel you, childcare costs are exorbitant. It's for this reason (among others) I've stayed home with our kids for a time. To have your child in full-time long term daycare 5-days a week can easily run upwards of $35,000 a year here in Sydney (before rebate). Also bear in mind that depending on where you land up it might be even harder to acquire a daycare (we live in the City of Sydney, 10mins from the CBD, which is in high demand).

When we arrived a year ago we had our names on 6 different waiting lists and were only able to get 1 day a week to start, then 2, 3 was the limit.

We've now been accepted into a local KU, which is a non-profit preschool that you should look into. It's not long-term hours, but they are moving there in April. Our daughter can go 5-days a week there for the cost of the 3-days in long-term care where she was.

You're going to look at lowering your outbound costs of living as much as you can. That means renting a studio apartment and having your baby in the same room, or even flat/house share with another family. You are going to want to be living closer to your office incase of an emergencies (trust me, there will be some of those!), it also decreases your travel expenses. Shop in bulk, buy 'reduced' priced food, all things we've done (though we have a 2-room apartment now with 2 kids) to stretch the cash a little further each month. It's a stormy season, because until the age of 5/6 the costs of child rearing largely fall on you, there is light at the end of the tunnel though with public schools being largely FREE, but it's a rough ride till you get there.

While I'm married and my partner and I are doing it together I grew up in single parent family of 4, my Mom, I and my 2 brothers. It was tough as $hit, but my Mom did it, you will to.

While I'm not in a position to care for your little one as I'm looking to go back to work myself this year, know that if you get stuck you can call on us for help, and I'm sure many other forum members would help out when you need it.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Sounds like you in for a ride but others have done it before , keep positive and you will come right!

I remember it was hard having no support when we came over with a 2 year old, my daughter is now 9 and lack of support/costs were two big reasons we stuck to 1 child.

wishing you all the best xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Mertonjust wanted to wish you well with pregnancy and the move. Please keep us posted in terms of where you settle and what childcare you opted for

Hi @AFreshStartwhat are hours and cost in the new 5 day daycare? 

8 hours ago, Sweepea said:

Hi @AFreshStartwhat are hours and cost in the new 5 day daycare? 

Sweepea,

At the moment the hours are 8.30am - 3.30pm and costs $57 a day and is not eligible for CCB, though in April they will move to longer hours 8.00am - 5.00pm and the fees will increase to $80.00 a day, but we'll receive a portion of that back through CCB.

We've worked out that the extra 2-days will costs us an extra $900 for the year compared to what we were paying at the long-term for 3-days.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 1

On 2016/02/13 at 7:43 PM, Sweepea said:

Matt from what cost do you qualify for rebate? 

It's no so much cost as much as is if the facility is contracted into Centrelink's CCB.

KU is a not-for-profit child service that has been operating for 1895, MOST child services are FOR PROFIT so charge much more and are often longer hours as well. Because our KU is moving to longer hours they are now registered for CCB.

Also remember that you may or may not be eligible for CCB rebates, they are means tested.

All the details are on Centrelink's website.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 1

Maybe a bit off topic but I just spoke to a colleague about childcare costs and they pay $114 per day in Sydney city!  (I was so shocked, my jaw fell on the table!!).  They are now moving to the suburbs where they will pay $72 per day (basically half!)  It's crazy!  I don't know how people afford this... When my kids were little (still in South Africa, many moons ago) I thought paying R8 a day was a rip-off.