Keeping an ABSA account active

SDTCPT

Hi guys,

I tried to search for the answer to this question but when I search for "ABSA" I only get answers up to 2014? My forum search Ninja skills are apparently not up to scratch...

I want to keep my ABSA current account active for various reasons, but I am concerned about the new SureCheck verification system that they have implemented and if this will still work in Aus. If there is anyone already in Aus that still has an active ABSA bank account, could you tell me how you are handling the verification process? Do you still have an RSA sim card so that you still have your RSA cell number or can you actually use an Oz cell number?

Thanks

We still have an ABSA bank account. Yes, you provide Australian mobile number and it comes through quickly 90% of the time.

The one thing we struggle with ABSA is to get transaction history on current / cheque account online for more than 3 or 4 months (not sure). The statements for longer periods are available in pdf but I like to download in csv (Excel) so I have to do periodically. Just keep this in mind.

Hi Gerhard,

Thanks for the info. Did you change the number after you arrived in Aus and was your old number still active? I just tried to see if I could go and change the number and ABSA sent a SureCheck to my phone... I might just have to change from a contract to prepaid before I go over...

I cannot remember (so it must not have been a big deal!) but we only got Australian simcards after a week or so in Australia so I must have changed it from here. I did have our SA simcards on sms roaming though so maybe they send the code to SA simcards. It is possible that I did the change online.