Getting discharge papers from the Zimbabwean army 40 years later!?!?

Crossedover

Question

Does anybody know if there is a way around getting your army discharge papers?

My dad was in the army in Zim 45 years ago... I am not sure how he is going to get a copy of his discharge papers.

BUT miracles do happen ?

4 answers to this question

When we were applying for our visa to come to Oz (12years ago) my husband was also asked for his discharge papers. We were allowed to present an affidavit instead. So this might be something your Dad could try? :unsure:

Thanks... I was wondering if that was an option?

• Like 1

It always make sense to try work out why DIBP want this information. Now I have no idea if this is what they are looking, I have no experience in these matters

To my mind they are looking for 2 things

1  Is a mercenary trying to get residence in Australia?

2  Is this person a war criminal?

So 1 is partially covered by your Dad's age, but post military service employment will also allay any fears in this regard. Been employed by the security company which fronted for merc operations is going to a major problem.

Now 2 will depend on which unit he was in. Selous Scouts and they will probably be looking for a lot more info. Clerk in the paymasters office and there are unlikely to be issues.

They are also less worried about conscripts than volunteers.

So I have no idea were your Dad fits into all this but think about what concerns them (these are just 2 I could think of) and try cover them off in any affidavit.

Certainly I've heard (heard, don't know) of ex SADF guys been asked for operations they were involved in, names of commanding officers and other info, but if they are true they will be few and far between.

That is a MOST unusual request. Something somewhere must have triggered DIBP to ask for this document....did he do any security work or travel to any hot list countries? At his age he should pose little threat, but as I said, my money is on something in your application....