Spices Online

Hello, so been in Melbourne a couple of months now and I have yet to buy any whole spices. I do find them extremely expensive, for instance nearly died when I saw 100g of cardamom (elatchie) for 7 dollars!!. I have packed some sealed spices for the container but I know that whole spices are not allowed, therefore I need to buy some and stock up my spice cupboard again ?

Therefore can anyone advise as to whether buying spices online is cheaper and if so can you recommend a good online spice shop.

Hubby and I both love our curries. Thankyou

I didn't see the prices or what specific spices were available, but I did notice that the Victoria Market had one or two spice stalls. It might be worth a look if you happen to be in the vicinity at some stage.

• Like 1

@emmayenkanna Go to the Asian shops, you can buy large packets of fresh spice for the same price Woolies charge for little packets. I was in despair when we arrived as I always bought large quantities of spice at a shop just outside the oriental plaza in Fordsburg and I was reduced to the Woolies range, but I'm now fully stocked and as the Indian communties often shop at the Asian shops you can get a full range of Indian spices, fresh curry leaves, Galingal, green mangoes and everything else - also large bags of very fresh new season rice. I can't remember where you are in Melbourne, but the Box Hill Centro has a great Asian market and a fantastic fish shop if you are looking for fish for fish curry.

• Like 1

Oh, the night market, yes! We were there once in 2014 on our LSD trip, and what I remember from that, it was amazing!!! (not so much 10am on a weekday in the winter, but I guess it's a bit seasonal) But I still have, and love, the t-shirts I got there. The night market is definitely worth a visit! :D 

Ask the first Indian mamma you see where the nearest Indian shop is she goes to for her goodies. Especially at school, they will offer to take you too! Good stuff and at a fraction of the prices we normally see, but almost always a bit hidden away.  

• Like 1

Be careful of the bulk spices, they are often just that, bulked up and rancid although many Westerners cannot taste the difference. I agree, shop where the Indian guys shop, safe bet! :) 

• Like 1

If in Sydney go to Wentworthville > Udhaya's Spices it makes me feel like Chatsworth in Durban...............