Money money

Morneplumber

Question

So can anyone shed some light on how much Rands one will need to survive in OZ for say so two months, for one person? Then also how much will it cost to get me to OZ, Skills Assessment, English test, Expression of interest, Police clearance, Visa Application, Airplane ticket? The whole thing. So just a ball park figure for all the paper work involved and then a ball park figure on surviving in OZ in Rands for two months? I am a qualified plumber by trade and have been investigating this for months now and have decided to get the ball rolling in May 2016. I found this site yesterday and thought I would bounce my findings off of the people whom have gone through the process. For the paperwork I have come to a figure of so R95 000 and to survive in Oz in Rands I come to R50 000 say so 25k per month. Does this sound right or am I way off?

10 answers to this question

Hi Morneplumber,

Welcome to the site. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help you on your journey.

IELTS English Exam - R2,500

VETASSESS - R25,700 (2 part assessment)

Medical Check - R2,000

Lodging the Visa (190/189 Permanent residency visa) - R36,500

Police Clearance - R450 (R96 for the certificate, the rest is courier costs at Postnet)

TOTAL: R67,150

So almost R70k if the Rand doesn't tank any further.

I can't comment on the living costs in Australia only the application. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer that.

• Like 1

Hey DavePE

Thank you so much!! It helps loads to know more or less what I should pay. I had 2 migration agents quote me well into the 90K just for the paperwork side of things. Thanks boet!!

Hi MornePlumber,

The above costs would be without the assistance of an agent. The costs I listed above would be "going it alone" costs. I'm in the final stages of my application and I think it's very doable to manage the process yourself. This forum has helped immensely.

• Like 1

Our medicals in Durban were about R6000 for a family of 4 - incl agency fees - totalled around R125K - we lodged in August last year. 

I have budgeted $6500 per month for a family of 4 for the first 4 months. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2016 at 4:34 PM, Morneplumber said:

and then a ball park figure on surviving in OZ in Rands for two months? 

Hi, I think the Rand has tanked too much and visa fees in AUD changed since we applied, so can't talk about current application costs.

With regards to your costs of living - there is no one size fits all answer to that as there are too many variables.

1) Where are you hoping to live - accommodation costs vary from State to State, from inner CBD to fringe suburbs etc. What you pay for the same property in one street can vary in other street simply because it's in a better school zone, closer to public transport etc. Melbourne and Sydney will overall be more expensive than Brisbane, Perth etc

2) What type of accommodation are you prepared to stay in? If just you, will you flat share? Stay in a backpack type lodge? Or do you want something more permanent like a studio apartment? For rentals, check out realestate.com.au - I 'lived' on that site for almost a year before we moved to Australia so that I had a good feel for rentals in different areas.

3) Do you want to use public transport or have your own vehicle? Transport costs vary in different states. The PVT costs for Melbourne are currently $156 per month.

4) How much on your current lifestyle are you willing to cut back whilst setting up? That can also impact the budget this side.

Food costs will vary according to what you like to eat. For instance we're vegetarian so sharing our monthly bill for 2 won't assist a meat eater etc. However, I do suggest that you head off to the Coles online site, and add what you normally buy for yourself to the trolley. That should give you a good indication of what food, cleaning materials and toiletries will cost you. You most likely could do it for less than what the PC screen says when you're finished, as there are weekly specials, and also when confronted online with brands that you don't know, you end up randomly choosing any toothpaste etc. However it will give you a great ballpark figure. I find that somethings are pretty much ZAR / 10 and other things make my eyes water at the price. Milk for instance is on par with RSA, at $2 for 2 litres ( it was normally around R20, only less on special, when we left in Sept 2015 ), but then yoghurt which cost me R16.99 per litre, is $5 on special, if you are lucky!

There is also a great thread put up by Mara re a budget for 2 people for Melbourne ( so again, will vary for same family in a different city, further out of a city etc ), but remember that is for when you're established, with insurance costs, private health care etc - a lot I am sure you wouldn't be incurring in those initial months.

Your best friend is going to be Google - try and research as much as you can.

All the best and hopefully you will find guidance on the forum too.

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions for everything that Emnew as mentioned. If you can give us some more information as to the above ie which state you are looking at, are you willing to commute etc then it makes things easier. Even then its tricky because one persons budget does not fit all. For Melbourne if you work off Maras Budget on the thread this should give you an accurate estimation. You can always omit the bills you are not likely to have at the beginning. Perth I found to be more expensive than Melbourne, even groceries.

If you're thinking of living in Sydney though then this would be useless. Not sure if its on the forum but it might be useful to have a budget section for each state, just like what Mara did to give people an idea.

If you have the time do the Visa yourself. We did saved us alot of money, and was very easy. All depends If your case is straightforward though.If you are going to use an agent then ask for recommendations here first. All the best

Yep, if you really need to save, buy a cheap second hand car, tent and some basic camping gear and you can live on $300 per month including food,

If you want to live in furnished accommodation, cost effective options start at around the $2500 per month range (In Melbourne - Preston)

It really does depend on what you are after

Hey Guys, thank you so much for the info. I guess one can only prepare so much the rest is going to come when I am finally there. I am a qualified plumber by trade and am moving over by myself and sharing accommodation in the beginning wont bother me. I was thinking of living in Sydney but Nev's idea with a cheap second hand car and tent sounds like a great idea. haha! shot Nev, will make sure I give you a bel for a braai. So jokes aside, I want to be prepared as much as I can but realise that there are things I cant prepare myself for and will have to find my feet as I go along. The thing that has me worried the most is that dreaded IELTS English test. I have been speaking and reading English since I was five but I am still nipping for this test. Anyway guys thank you for the info!! 

• Like 1