Any other suggestions for high schools in Perth NOR

KirstyS

So I have only just arrived, and looking at rentals so that my son can start high school. There are very few around, have two applications in but no other prospects in the Woodvale or Duncraig zoned areas. Are there any other very good public high schools. Haven't been able to find anything in the Carine area either. 

I really liked the suburb of Edgewater, but am not sure which high school it is zoned for. I can't afford private :o(

Any suggestions? TIA

Ocean Reef is another option - I have a friend who has just moved to Currambine from Sydney.  Her daughter is starting there....

There are good state high schools too, don't feel bad to not be able to go the private route.  Trust your gut - go and see the schools, have a show / interview and see what you like about the school in terms of subjects / attitude etc.

Good luck, scary times, but in a year, it will all be old news anyway :-)

Hi KirstyS

I'm the friend that Settled mentioned ?

We've been in Sydney for nearly 4 years and relocated to Perth at the end of November. We are moving into Currambine in about a week and our teenage daughter will be going to Ocean Reef High. I've chatted to lots of locals and everyone says it's a good school. On the contrary I've heard not such great things about Kinross College, so stay clear there.

If you can get a rental in the school zone it is obviously much easier as they then have to enrol your son. Even if you just take a short term rental to start with.

Don't let the outside appearance of the schools influence your decision. Our daughter was at a very good high school (state school) in Sydney and it looked like an old jail behind some manky old trees! ?

Good luck. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

I second what Malans said about Kinross - not a great school.

Both my kids went there, and son was bullied (but kept quiet - the idiot) and daughter was well on her way to being (in her words - "A skank").

Fortunately son was invited to Mindarie Senior College for his last two years and as such, daughter was allowed to go along as well. The difference in teachers and their interest and in my daughter's attitude was just unbelievable. I wish she could have been their longer, because she didn't quite shake off all the crap from Kinross.

For instance, daughter was part of a clique of girls who were semi-feral. I used to be phoned up every second day to be told her latest transgression, and to ask for permission to keep her after school.  After about the fifth time I asked whether her friends (and I named them) were involved as well. "Yes", they said> "Well why don't you break up their group", I asked.

C'mon people, this is Weermag Korporaal 101 stuff.

They'd never thought of that .......