camping trailer and gas goods

IVANDEBEER

Morning, 

we would like to take our camping trailer and gas cookers and burners with us. what are the implications of that and any regulations with regards to gas braais and cookers and cylinders.

Lots of people bring their braais and trailers, no issues.  In fact, I would seriously urge you to bring your trailer.  You CANT bring any gas cylinders/bottles.  You just buy a new one here and get an adapter between your new bottle and your old braai, (at Bunnings and many other places). Very cheap and easy, dont let this discourage you from bringing your gear.  I am not sure what you call a "cooker", so cant help there. 

• Like 1

Are camping trailers expensive in Australia? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new one instead of shipping one over there?

17 minutes ago, rozellem said:

I believe trailer are expensive there so i will bring mine over, thanks for the advise.

Creative quoting  there! ^  :rolleyes:

Broadly speaking they tend to be more expensive in Aus, but its not a deal breaker. I would buy there as you know the local market.  Know the good and the not so good brands there. It will take you a while to gain that info in Aus. A RSA lady, at a campsite in NSW, was telling me how they bought their fully geared up camping trailer especially before they emigrated, because the one they got was as narrow as a car, and could therefore fit into a single garage. Sounded like the ones here did not have that feature. I never did try to find out if she was correct in saying that. Bear in mind you will have to legally own the trailer for 12 months in RSA before bringing it over. 

• Like 1

Hi bought it 3 years ago so that should not be an issue, it is a stainless steel trailer with a complete rooftop tent and sides. i am not sure on the licensing though but we will see what we can do.

21 hours ago, FingersCrossed said:

Are camping trailers expensive in Australia? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new one instead of shipping one over there?

If you're not in a hurry you can pick up bargains here. Trailers with gear on them can be found from about $2000 upwards. Have a look on Gumtree, ebay, car sales. I haven't seen any in S/steel so I'd compare prices for buying here or shipping. Most are galvanized here. Sometimes you can find them with most stuff on them that you want. Soft floor trailers like yours are quite cheap as hard floor campers are more popular now.

Edited by Peterthe1
Added detail

We brought over a lot of our camping gear and it was definitely the right decision, just make sure it is clean! (Just in case Customs decide to open that box to inspect)...

The only suggestion I have about the campervan is do you have a space to park it when you get here? Not sure where you are heading but in Sydney, parking can be interesting!

Camper trailers here in Aus are vastly superior to the SA ones in both design and build. Even the legendary Venters are no match in my view. Bring it if you want to, but the Aussie ones are very tough. Forget the gas bottles. 

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, rozellem said:

A RSA lady, at a campsite in NSW, was telling me how they bought their fully geared up camping trailer especially before they emigrated, because the one they got was as narrow as a car, and could therefore fit into a single garage.

In Australia your trailer is not allowed to be wider than your towing vehicle. If it is you will have to have "Oversize" plates fixed to the vehicle and trailer and you will obviously have to pay whatever fees apply.

Comparing local off road camper trailers to Venter trailers, I'd say even the cheaper Chinese imported trailers are more suited to local conditions. I'm comparing to the Venter's that I know from 10-12 years ago which I think were poorly made. I do a lot of camping and if you want to go bush camping,ie no formal campsites, than you want a sturdy trailer. Venter's wouldn't cut it.

• 4 years later...
On 1/19/2016 at 6:00 PM, rozellem said:

Lots of people bring their braais and trailers, no issues.  In fact, I would seriously urge you to bring your trailer.  You CANT bring any gas cylinders/bottles.  You just buy a new one here and get an adapter between your new bottle and your old braai, (at Bunnings and many other places). Very cheap and easy, dont let this discourage you from bringing your gear.  I am not sure what you call a "cooker", so cant help there. 

Just received my gas bottle conversion and it is too small for my Weber Q braai or the LPG gas bottle. It looks like the SATOOZ converter is for small gas canisters. Does anyone know where to find converters for larger 8.5kg type bottles