2 random questions

Eyebrow

I want to know 2 thing please guys...

1. Has anyone here ever been/or knows someone who has been stung by a jelliefish.? (Yeah, I know, only I will ask such a question...) Is it such a big deal as it is made out to be?

2. How does one go about selling a secondhand car in Australia? What is the best way, I mean?

thanks!

I was stung by a jellyfish on my foot as a child in the Eastern Cape. Someone peed on it. (FOR REAL) The second remedy applied was some green fatty leaves that grew on the beach - these were broken and the juice rubbed on the sting. I remember it hurting but am not scared of jellyfish, I am however scared of giving birth as that hurt much more (hehehe). My cousin was stung by a jellyfish properly - all over the chest and back and he was in agony for a few days. It made red welts all over him.

Discovery channel has made it sound like jellyfish in Australia are all out to KILL you so I don't know if it would be worse there as Australia harbors only deadly and pure evil creatures (thank you DISCOVERY CHANNEL for teaching me this). :P

Depends on the type of jellyfish as well - the venom is of different strengths.

As for the car - try carsales.com.au - it's where I look when I want to buy.

Eyebrow,

As Oubass pointed out it really depends on the jellyfish, there are hundreds of varieties, very few are deadly, some of the ones that are just happen to live in certain parts of Australia like the box jelly.

As a child living in Durban I was prone to blue bottle stings, rashes from fire weed etc, it's part of life lived out on the beach. On our recent trip to Newcastle the beach was littered with bottles and I've ridden many a wave on Bondi with jellies, mostly harmless/mild stinging varieties.

As Mel-B pointed out, urine was often used to neutralize stings, as was milk, they were thought to break down the proteins and bring some relief, but these days the recommended course of action is warm salt water. The fatty leaves are from a plant called Carpobrotus, most varies are indigenous to South Africa, but Australia also has 4 native varieties and are helpful with strings, bites and burns.

Cheers

Matt

We have an area just before you head into town proper, where on weekends people will park their cars that are for sale... they lock them up and leave them there for the day. There is a sign on the inside of the window with their mobile number, so you can call them and ask questions and if you are really interested they will return and meet you there. Not sure if there is something similar near you.

7 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

I want to know 2 thing please guys...

1. Has anyone here ever been/or knows someone who has been stung by a jelliefish.? (Yeah, I know, only I will ask such a question...) Is it such a big deal as it is made out to be?

Yes, Port Shepstone, KZN one of the bluebottle ones.

I remember seeing something suggesting people can wear nylon tights material when in the water in some areas to prevent stings - but this may be rubbish. 

Best ask the locals

I remember those blue bottle stings from holidays in Durbs as a child. Painful, but you were ok!

I was more thinking about those jellyfish in Queensland North of Brisbane and upwards...

I go to the beach in Yeppoon and have never had an issue when swimming. The further north you go, the more aware you have to be of what's in the water. Crocs, sharks, jellyfish, octopus, stonefish, etc. all live in the water. Swim between the flags on patrolled beaches and you will be Ok. Obviously on unpatrolled beaches you're taking a bit of a chance. I do a lot of beach camping at unofficial camp locations and have never had a problem. Be a little aware and you will be Ok.

With regards to selling a car you can try carsales .com, gumtree, ebay or classifieds in your local paper. You can also try car auction places if you have time eg. Pickles, Manheim or Shannons to name a few. There may be other local ones in your area. Avoid selling to dealers as they will give you the lowest price. Try for a private sale to get the best price. Ensure that the car is taken off your name when it is sold as you are responsible for all fines, tolls, etc. until it comes off your name. Some private buyers may "forget" to complete and hand in all necessary paperwork.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:15 AM, Mara said:

We have an area just before you head into town proper, where on weekends people will park their cars that are for sale... they lock them up and leave them there for the day. There is a sign on the inside of the window with their mobile number, so you can call them and ask questions and if you are really interested they will return and meet you there.

Be careful doing this as some, if not all, councils have bylaws against this practice, especially if it is on council land. You could end up with a fine. I know on the Sunshine Coast it is illegal to sell your car next to the road. Check with your local council first.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:08 AM, Eyebrow said:

Here are some facts about poisonous Jellyfish in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish_stings_in_Australia

http://www.planetdeadly.com/animals/dangerous-jellyfish

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jellyfish.html

I wouldn't worry to much about jellyfish in general. I haven't seen one yet since I've been here. Just be aware if you do go for a swim.

Edited by Peterthe1
Added content

@Peterthe1 - very insightful links you gave. A thought about the remedy:

Usually the most important thing to do first is to inactivate the remaining stinging cells. This should be done by pouring normal vinegar over the tentacles (soak for at least 30 seconds).

Was just wondering how many people takes a bottle of vinegar to the beach? It its a choice between a cold beer and vinegar I know what will stay behind!

3 hours ago, ottg said:

Was just wondering how many people takes a bottle of vinegar to the beach? It its a choice between a cold beer and vinegar I know what will stay behind!

There are quite a few beaches here in QLD, which have a box with a bottle of vinegar in it at the entrance to the beach. You could also have one in your First Aid kit in the car. I normally keep one in there. Also handy for salad dressing when camping.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterthe1 said:

ave a box with a bottle of vinegar in it at the entrance to the beach

So much more reason to just love this place!!!! Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

@Eyebrow

You can use vinegar or meat tenderiser. It depends on the type of jelly how much trouble you will be in. People sometimes wear special suits when swimming in Box Jelly areas. I would not chance it. As for cars, carsales.com.au